Stopped working after opening a local vault

Options

Hello,

I've been using paid version of the 1Password apps and am now testing a 1Password account.

I installed 1Password7 onto my Windows 8.1 workstation and added my 1Password account OK.

I then opened my existing vault (.agilekeychain), copied the items to a new converted format (.opvault) and renamed my old vault (.legacyagilekeychain). This all seemed to work ok but then got the message about "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly".

Everytime I launch 1Password now, I get the error.

I currently use Dropbox to sync the data between a Windows 8.1, macOS14 and iOS12 devices and been considering getting a 1Password account. Error messages don't make me feel very positive about it.

Regards,
Marco

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:stopped working windows 8.1

Comments

• Hi @marcode,

Thanks for reporting this. Did it crash as soon as you open the app or when you unlock only?

The error you're seeing is not related to 1Password account but something in your local database is not being read correctly. We automatically halt the app if we detected something invalid for security reasons.

If you can open the app but not unlock, please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• marcode
    marcode
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

I can launch the app and once I put it my password, it crashes.

I have reverted back to 1Password4 (4.6.1.620) and the database seems to be ok so the issue appears to be with migrating the data from .agilekeychain to .opvault

Email sent.

• Hi @marcode,

I got your email and your issue is related to a new bug we found in 1Password 7.3 and working on it. I'll reply to your email.

• marcode
    marcode
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Any news on a fix for my crashes? I just tried with 1Password-7.3.657 and as soon as I upgrade my version 4.6 vault to 7.3, 1Password 7.3 crashes.

The Chrome extension has stopped working since I tried 1Password 7.3 and then downgraded again to 1Password 4.6 and I really miss this extension.

Thanks

• Hi, @marcode! No specific news as yet. The update that we hope to include this fix in (7.4) is a bigger one and is taking a fair bit of time as a result. Firefox, Vivaldi, Brave, and Opera should all still work with 1Password 4 if you'd like to make a swap there to continue using the extension while we're working on this.

All of that said, you had mentioned you wanted to test a 1Password account. Is your ultimate goal to have 1Password 7 set up with only a 1Password account and no local vault? If so, we may be able to work around this by avoiding adding your local vault to 1Password 7 at all and importing your data directly. This would mean you can safely use 7.3 even – the issue Mike referenced only applies to local vaults and won't impact 1Password accounts. If that's something you're open to, let me know and I'll help you give it a try. Also, I did go ahead and add myself to you, Mike and Greg's e-mail conversation so that I can hop in there as well, if you prefer. :+1:

• marcode
    marcode
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I copied my 4.6 vault to a new 1Password online vault using 1Password 6.8 (Mac) and this seems to be working ok.

I still have access to my old (Dropbox) vault on my Mac (version 6.8) and my mobile devices. I'll wait for 1Password 7.4 to come out before trying to add my Dropbox vault to it.

Thanks

• Again, @marcode, if your intent to continue using this vault as part of your 1Password account, there shouldn't be any need to add your Dropbox vault in the future. We'd still be grateful if you're willing to test that this issue has been resolved when 7.4 is released to beta, of course, but I don't want you to be hanging onto clutter in your other apps when there's no need for it. If you want to continue using Dropbox in the future, that's absolutely fine and we'll certainly get in touch when 7.4 is ready to go, but I just wanted to reiterate that once you've migrated your vault once (and it sounds like you've managed that on your Mac), you should be set across all of your devices.

• marcode
    marcode
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate ,

I am happy to test if the issue has been resolved when 7.4 is released. Please let me know when it's available.

I plan to keep the Dropbox vault running for a while as a backup.

Thanks,
    M

• Absolutely will do, @marcode! I know Mike and Greg have been in touch with you via e-mail and I've added myself to that conversation so I can keep tabs on things as well, so we'll reach out there as soon as we've got something ready. Thanks again! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.