Difference between App Store subscription and web

As I'm currently using the standalone 1Password versions for macOS, iOS, Windows 10 and Android and wanting to share vaults with my wife, it has become a burden to share items that we both need to access and that's something the subscription plan will solve with shared vaults.

However, I notice there are basically two options to purchase the subscription: through the App Store's in-app subscription service and through 1Password.eu. Since I'm using a bunch of subscriptions that are all managed using Apple's App Store subscription service, for me it's a no-brainer to go that route. Also, I see that 1Password 7.x is available through the macOS App Store and as a download from your website.

What I would like to do is:
1. Purchase the Annual Family Subscription through the macOS App Store in-app purchase
2. Use the App Store on both iOS and macOS to download the apps and keep them updated. I know for iOS this is the only way, but just like I also recently got my Office 365 through the App Store (used to be standalone), and my 1Password 6.8 standalone that I'm using, I'd love to keep using the App Store.
3. Not be limited with the Android phone in the family that I also want to use with the Family Subscription. Can this be used when subscribing through the App Store?

Is this combination possible? Or to phrase it differently: are there any technical differences between purchasing the subscription through 1Password.eu or the App Store? My family used to be Apple only, but with that single Android phone and Windows 10 laptop we already had to go from iCloud to Dropbox and now I'm looking for more ease of use again with the subscription model that looks great, but I don't want to find out in a couple of months or even years that I've made the wrong choice and have to go through a whole setup process again or change the way I'm subscribed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @AddVariety

Or to phrase it differently: are there any technical differences between purchasing the subscription through 1Password.eu or the App Store?

There are, yes:

1. Discounts, credits, promotions, etc that apply to subscriptions from one are not likely to apply to the other
    2. It isn't possible to upgrade / downgrade the level of service when subscribed through a 3rd party e.g. from 1Password Families to individual membership (you'd have to switch to direct billing first)
    3. It isn't possible to purchase add-ons (such as additional family members above the included 5) when subscribed through a 3rd party

Those are the ones I can think of. There are no restrictions on what devices you can use based on where you subscribe. Any compatible device can be used with a 1Password membership regardless of who you subscribe through. From your description, beyond what I outlined above, I don't see anything that should prevent you from subscribing through Apple if that would be your preference. :)

Ben

• Thanks for your quick response Ben!

To be honest, there are often iTunes/App Store promotions locally going on where I can get 15% discount on prepaid cards. I tend to buy these every couple of months to save a little on everything that's being charged through my App Store account, the nice thing is that when there's no prepaid credit left it automatically charges the remainder from my creditcard, which is great.

I understand that in that case I won't be able to use any discounts that you directly offer, but that's fine. Of course paying less is always welcome, but I've already mentally committed to the € 62,99 annually for the Families membership.

Just a couple more questions to get it 100% clear for me. I'll certainly purchase the subscription, it's just that I'd like to make sure that I set up everything correctly. I'm someone who likes to read into stuff, how it works and what works best, but when eventually set up, I'd like to just use it and forget about the behind-the-scenes stuff if you know what I mean. That's been the case with my standalone licenses the past few years, so I don't expect anything else with the Families membership. ;-)

So to the questions:
    1. You say it isn't possible to purchase add-ons such as additional family members. We are a family of 4, though the kids are not old enough to use a phone and 1Password themselves, but we do plan on using vaults for their accounts. I take it that there is no limitation as to how many vaults and how many users access these vaults (within the 5 user limit)? I don't plan on using 100 vaults, but I think we've got 6 to begin with (personal for me, personal for my wife, my work vault, our shared family vault and 1 vault for each of our kids that will be shared as well) and I don't see it growing beyond 10-15 at the very maximum. So hypothetically: can I create 15 vaults and share 12 of them with different members of the Family?
    2. What are the other add-ons you talk about? I tried to look for it, but couldn't find anything.
    3. In the case of your answer about upgrading/downgrading to something different than the Annual Family membership: does this just involve changing to direct billing and then directly being able to change it to App Store billing it monthly for example (or an individual membership)? Or does it also involve completely changing accounts? And regarding direct billing: if I need to change from Family to Individual, does that mean I will immediately be charged for a year through direct billing, meaning I need to wait a year in order to switch to the App Store again?
    4. Does direct billing support the macOS App Store versions? Or do those require the App Store subscription?

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@AddVariety

You say it isn't possible to purchase add-ons such as additional family members. We are a family of 4...

Then you're fine. :) No extra people necessary. And yes, there's no limit to vaults, or what configuration you share them in. The only exceptions to this are the default vaults: each person's Private vault is theirs only; not even you can see the contents, and the default Shared vault is accessible to everyone. All user-created vaults can be shared in any configuration the creator wishes. And the Family Organizer(s) can make changes to the sharing setups of vaults if need be.

What are the other add-ons you talk about?

Additional family members. When you subscribe via us directly, you gain the ability to add extra family members past the default five members, for an additional charge. Via the Mac App Store, this is not possible.

In the case of your answer about upgrading/downgrading to something different than the Annual Family membership: does this just involve changing to direct billing and then directly being able to change it to App Store billing it monthly for example (or an individual membership)? Or does it also involve completely changing accounts?

You wouldn't need to completely change accounts, no...but this isn't a trivial process, and I can't imagine wanting to do it unless you find you need to. So I'd recommend thinking strategically about what account you want up front, and then getting that via the Mac App Store; that way you won't need to go through the process of switching billing, etc. just to switch account types (to Individual or Business, or to add extra family members).

Does direct billing support the macOS App Store versions?

Yes, though it really doesn't work that way. A subscription is a subscription. If it's registered as active in the 1password.com server backend (no matter where it's been purchased through) then all versions of native 1Password app will recognize it.

Hope this helps! :)

• Thanks Lars, this really helps.

Basically you said there are no limitations in my situation. I can’t see myself changing from Family to Individual any time soon, unless I suddenly end up in a divorce, but that’s not something to start planning for. 😉

Thanks again! I know what I need to do now.

• edited April 2019

Ok, so I've downloaded 1Password 7 and it even saw my iCloud vault, which is fine. I then went to 1Password.eu to create an account, got everything set up and back in the app (on macOS) scanned the setup code, after which it asked me to subscribe. But I only see the "Subscribe now for € 7,49 per month" option. When I click that there's no option to select a year and when I click on that monthly option it immediately asks for my iCloud password, which I know is to confirm the purchase.

So how do I get the annual subscription?

Edit:
    Nevermind, I found it. I saw that it started with a free trial, which I hadn't tried before, so I just purchased it knowing that I can always cancel. When I then looked in Apple's Subscriptions I saw the option to change to annual.

I have to say it is extremely cumbersome and I know from other apps that I have that they show two options: monthly and annual. Ticktick and Bear are apps that do this and I actually use them. Seems to me you actually are counting on users not finding this option and therefore paying more, which is ridiculous. Of course that's just a thought, but it is a choice by you guys, seeing that those other apps have direct buttons for the two options. I really don't like that choice of you to no show annual. But then again, I do find your product still to be the best out there, so not reason enough for me to switch to some other password manager.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@AddVariety

Once you have established the monthly subscription you can switch it to annual:

View, change, or cancel your subscriptions - Apple Support

Since the membership comes with a 30 day free trial as long as you do this within the first 30 days you won't have to pay the monthly rate at all.

Ben

• spaziobdsspaziobds Junior Member

I hope I'm sitting in the right discussion.
    I'm an old 1password user, old both in terms of membership (10 years) and age (70+ years)
    I'm sort of confused, I'm working with the app store version (don't know why, started with the AgileBit version), I'm happy with the stand alone version, using the app on two iMacs, home and office, iPad and iPhone.
    I'm running version 6.8.8, AppStore has a version 7.xx, AgileBits has a version 7.3, why am I not upgrading? What should I do? Is it worth to upgrade?
    Thanks for any feedback and help

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@spaziobds: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade if you stick with a "stand alone" license, but it's included with every 1Password membership. I recommend the latter since that includes not only all 1Password apps and updates (which eliminates the need to even ask; you'd simply update), and does away with sync configuration and purchasing/managing separate licenses entirely: you simply sign into your account on each device to access your data:

About 1Password memberships

And you can get an overview of what's new in version 7 here:

1Password 7 for Mac

And of course that includes support for the latest browser and OS updates, which are also important for security -- and get you a lot of cool features too. I hope this helps. But be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• OK, and what is the process for switching from IAP to DirectBill? Can it be done automatically by the user, i.e. after the IAP membership is cancelled, or must it involve intervention by you lot?

Cheers for the insight.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@sgucukoglu: It cannot be done automatically by the user, as Apple's billing system is their own, and using ours after signing up through them requires us manually switching it on our end. If that's something you'd like to do, please email [email protected] so we can help you with that. :)

• Ta for that, @brenty. It's ... disappointing, I won't deny it. Any chance of a rethink on that score, so as we can have maximum flexibility in this regard, in case we come upon a juicy bargain? Of course I recognise that there'd need to be conditions: your account must be frozen at the moment of transition, and so on.

Cheers.

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

The trouble is, @sgucukoglu, that we only have control over part of this system so it's not entirely our decision to make. We can't change anything about how Apple handles App Store billing, and that includes how we get notified of a cancellation – at the end of the billing period. Until then there is simply no way for us to know your subscription has been canceled (unless you tell us, of course) and thus no way to know we should update our system to reflect that. We could, in theory, allow you to mark your Apple Subscription as canceled yourself, but the result of that would be that you would lose out on any subscription time remaining because we still wouldn't be able to know how much time you have left on your current billing cycle. There's just not a great option to allow this without some fairly significant drawbacks.

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing how Apple handles this at all. They choose not to share billing information with developers in order to protect your privacy and avoid oversharing things like your credit card details. We believe very strongly in that mission and are thrilled Apple makes their decisions with your privacy at the forefront. But, that comes with some trade-offs as well in the form of some extra fuss to switch if you want or need to. We absolutely don't want that to get in the way of deals, though. I love a good deal myself and should you ever come across one that would require a billing switch, you can always reach out to [email protected] and see if they can help you take advantage. :+1:

• Ah, now I understand. Thanks for clarifying, @bundtkate. If you simply don't know, then of course you can't support switches on-demand. It's a pity, but I agree that Apple's approach isn't intrinsically wrong, either--after all, you will get what you paid for.

But what about if the subscription lapses. Can you switch then? Maybe at the end of the year you decide it's worth switching to IAP because you've got a third off on credit this Christmas, let's say. Wouldn't it still be worthwhile to support switches once the period you've paid for has expired?

Thanks for the information. This is useful to know for my other subscriptions, too, which I have thus far funnelled under iTunes for convenience. As I say I agree that Apple's approach is very conservative with my privacy but it does mean it's a little bit inflexible.

Cheers.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@sgucukoglu:

But what about if the subscription lapses. Can you switch then? Maybe at the end of the year you decide it's worth switching to IAP because you've got a third off on credit this Christmas, let's say. Wouldn't it still be worthwhile to support switches once the period you've paid for has expired?

You can switch anytime you wish, as long as you let us know about your choice so we can help you do it ;)

• @ag_ana:

You can switch anytime you wish, as long as you let us know about your choice so we can help you do it ;-)

But automatically. Can you do it automatically? Or, if not, could it feasibly be implemented for the future?

Don't mind me, I'm a perfectionist. :)

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@sgucukoglu:

Yes, I believe we do get a notification when the subscription expires, as bundtkate explained. Once the subscription lapses and your account goes into frozen state, you can then subscribe directly through us ;)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

But again, we'd have to switch over billing for you. We can't have our systems automatically try to do that, as then people who do want to be billed through Apple will end up on our system instead, and that would be much more inconvenient for others, to put it mildly. :)

• @ag_ana: Cool. That's cool. You might like to write that down somewhere in a support doc for people to find, but honestly I'm all right with that. As long as you can change relatively easily after the account is frozen, it should be possible to choose a billing cycle that's right and have a good chance of bargain-hunting.

Cheers for the insights.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

You are welcome! No matter what, you can always send us an email and we will help you configure things the way you like :)

• have a good chance of bargain-hunting.

I saw you mentioning this a couple of times.

I hope you’ll find one, but for quite some time all 1Password promos are for new subscribers only.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

That's a good point!

• I agree. The chief source of bargains now is iTunes credit, so the chief reason for using IAP is to take advantage of that and the chief reason for using DirectBill is family extensions and avoiding the Apple Tax. It's not much, to be sure, but I think choice is good.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

indeed, we agree that choice is good. That is why we offer both billing options, so you can choose the one that suits you better.

This discussion has been closed.