Is the 1Password browser extension safe?

Options

I would love to use the 1Password extension for Firefox on my Mac. But I continuously read how browser extensions are unsafe? How can I trust 1Password browser extension?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, @Seattle2000.

I totally understand your concern as it is usually a weak spot for many companies that doesn't take security as a top priority. However, 1Password has a different approach to this. I'm not a 1Password team member, so you definitely wait for an official response from them, but some of the security features regarding 1Password X are:

1. All of our data is strongly protected by a an encryption made locally on every device you have, with the keys you and only you (not even 1Password), know.

2. All of our data is protected IN the browser, within a secure sandbox that no scripts of any page you visit, may interact with.

You can read an in-depth look at 1Password X security features in this page:

https://support.1password.com/1password-x-security/

It's many times easier for any intruder to try to attack the human part of the equation, than 1Password, because of its great security and more importantly, because of the way it's been designed since the very beginning.

Hope this info helps :chuffed: Have an excellent weekend!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Seattle2000!

Arturoaubry is spot on here. Does the answer and the link to the 1Password X security page help alleviate your concerns?

• Seattle2000
    Seattle2000
    Community Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

Thank you for the responses. I may be a little confused. I am not using 1Password X. I have a family subscription, and am using the Mac Client. And wanted to use the Browser extension for Firefox on my Mac. It is my understanding 1Password X is different, and has no client. So when I go here.

https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers

I want to know if the Firefox extension is safe, which I hear don't run any extensions for security on your browser :)

I see the 1Password X on that page as well, I am not talking about that.

Thank you.

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, @Seattle2000.

Totally get the confusion here, no worries. In terms of security you can be confident both are equally secure. In terms of functionality is where they're different.

1Password X IS NOT dependant on the 1Password Mac App (meaning it runs entirely within the browser) while the one you refer to is a desktop extension for Firefox (so it needs the native Mac App). Depending what functionalities you're trying to get, you may choose one or another.

In this thread you can read all about it.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/93088/1password-x-or-browser-firefox-extension

Hope it helps :blush:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Seattle2000

Thank you for the clarification :) If you want to use the traditional browser extension, also remember that this extension does not contain any data. All it does is connect to the desktop 1Password app so that it can fill your data on websites, but it doesn't do anything else. And the connection to the desktop app is secure.

You are also right when you say that browser extensions can be dangerous, but this doesn't mean that all of them are.

This discussion has been closed.