Can't access app in a tab; app keeps wanting to generate emergency kit

Whenever I access a function that opens the app in a new Chrome tab (e.g. click the extension icon, click "+ New Item," click "Login"), 1PasswordX generates an emergency kit rather than providing access to the needed screen. This problem's been going on for awhile. I believe I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension to no avail. Help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.14.3
OS Version: Chrome OS 73.0.3683.114
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

Hey @Deric ,
    That's quite a strange issue you got there. :p

Can you please unlock 1Password X and then try to login to your account here: https://start.1password.com
    Then try and check if the extension works correctly.

If still no go, please remove the extension, then download and try our latest beta.

Let me know how it goes :chuffed:

• Deric
    Deric
    Community Member

Hi, @yaron_1P. So, I tried both suggestions, but the problem continues. :'(

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

Hi @Deric – I'm wondering if you downloaded your Emergency Kit when you originally created your account. It is a requirement that you do so now, and if you dismiss the notification, I'd imagine you'd keep getting pestered. 1Password X doesn't generate Emergency Kits itself, but our web app does (that's what opens when you create a new item). When this happens again, could you try downloading the generated Emergency Kit and seeing if that stops it? Please keep us posted!

• Deric
    Deric
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

@kaitlyn, I think you may have discovered the issue. I can't say whether or not I downloaded the emergency kit way back when. However, after doing so now, the issue resolved itself. To double-check, I replaced the beta with the regular release and the problem did not recur.

I think the things that confused me were, one, this prompt came up without warning after years of use and, two, the wording is targeted towards new users. Together, they made the prompt seem like an error. It didn't even register mentally that I was being asked to download something ...

I'll let you know if the issue comes back, but I suspect we're good. Thanks!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update, @Deric! I have to say that I'd feel the same way. I was even stumped myself at first. I remembered that we made downloading your Emergency Kit mandatory recently, though. We really dislike having to delete accounts because someone forgot their Master Password or lost their Secret Key, so we figured that making the Emergency Kit mandatory would eliminate that as much as possible. I hope you can understand. :)

Please do let us know if you see the issue come up again!

This discussion has been closed.