Master Password works on web vault, does NOT work on Chrome extension, Win app

I am using the same keyboard, typing the same sequence, and even copy/paste of my master password and am ABLE to login to the web interface and UNABLE to login to either the Chrome extension or Windows app.

I am running a family account and may (?) have last logged in using a family member's email but I don't see ANYWHERE that this is specified on either of these logins.

nb using Chrome Version 73.0.3683.103

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Win 10 Pro 1803 17134.706
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jenncard: The Master Password you setup for your 1Password account won't work for anything else you've setup differently. Do you maybe have a Primary (local, "On this PC") vault in one of those places, with a different Master Password you setup previously? :)

• jenncard
    jenncard
    Community Member

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what this means:

won't work for anything else you've setup differently.

I am the "admin" for the family account so the master pwd I am entering is the one for the account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jenncard: The 1Password app will unlock using the Master Password for the first vault/account you have setup there. So if you've got something different than just your 1Password membership account, you will need to enter the appropriate password. That's why we recommend setting up all of your devices to use only your 1Password account after migrating to the membership:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

That way they'd all have the same data and be using the same Master Password you're using to sign into the website. You didn't answer my question:

Do you maybe have a Primary (local, "On this PC") vault in one of those places, with a different Master Password you setup previously? :)

Let me know. :)

• jenncard
    jenncard
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty. I am not trying to be deliberately dense, but I'm still not understanding. :-(
    - How would I check if there is a primary, local, "on this pc" vault?
    - Which places do you mean by "one of those places"?
    The family account is more than 1 year since I established it and this current PC is only a few months old... I've had a rough last month, so can't say for sure when I last normally accessed 1password on this machine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @brenty. I am not trying to be deliberately dense, but I'm still not understanding. :-(

@jenncard: No worries! Happy to help. :)

• How would I check if there is a primary, local, "on this pc" vault?

In 1Password for Windows, open the main window and click the vault icon in the upper left:

From there you can view a list of all the vault you have setup in the app. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• Which places do you mean by "one of those places"?

In your original post, which I was replying to, you mentioned three places you were using 1Password: web interface, Chrome extension, Windows app. I'd like you to look at all three.

The family account is more than 1 year since I established it and this current PC is only a few months old... I've had a rough last month, so can't say for sure when I last normally accessed 1password on this machine.

Don't worry. We'll get you sorted. Thanks for your patience. :)

• jenncard
    jenncard
    Community Member

:-)
    Can't send you a screenshot from the 1password for windows as that is the root problem... I am not able to log in via either Win app or Chrome extension. Even if I type the master password and copy/paste it into these two routes, no love. But same thing pasted into web vault, all is well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jenncard: Thanks for trying. My hope was that, since you are almost certainly the one who set it up, you'd be able to figure out the Master Password you'd used there. If not, and you've got all of your data in your account (please confirm that by viewing your data on 1Password.com in your web browser first!), you can simply start over in the app and set it up with only your 1Password account.

Just go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data -- this is only for the app; nothing in your account will be affected. Then open 1Password again and sign into your account, and you will be able to use your account's Master Password -- and data -- there going forward. :)

• jenncard
    jenncard
    Community Member

Ah ha! Solved!
    I changed the master pwd a few weeks ago. That current password was not accepted on this machine. I tried the old password and VOILA.

Odd, odd behavior on the part of 1password. Especially that there is not anything in help that indicates this "feature"

Thanks @brenty

• bundtkate
    edited April 2019

We actually do cover this in our guide to changing our Master Password here, @jenncard:

https://support.1password.com/change-master-password/#if-you-have-a-1password-account-and-no-standalone-vaults

You'll have to pardon my sloppy circle there – my mouse isn't cooperating with me lately so I'm no screenshot artist at the moment. :blush:

That said, this isn't the behavior we genuinely want. It's necessary for now, but definitely something we want to improve down the road. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.