1Password-X suggested password usage, confirmation on site doesn't fill out

Options

Hello! I started using 1P-X just today. The filling out of logins works as expected. Then I tried to update the password on a web site, and 1P-X offered an auto-generated password, which I accepted. The page had a "confirm password" field, which also required an entry. 1P-X didn't fill it, and I had no way to paste the new password in to confirm. So I went to the extension icon, chose Pwd Generator, made and copied to clipboard another new password, pasted it into both main pwd and confirmation pwd fields, and updated the login. It worked fine. 1P-X offered to save the login, which also worked fine. So, overall the app allows to complete the task, even if not fully seamlessly. The only glitch is, the new password shows as "terrible" in the Mac desktop app.
Just letting you know about this. I read that if the app didn't "auto-fill" the fields, it won't always properly rank the password, and apparently even if it made it in the first place. But it won't auto-fill the confirmation pwd, so there is no proper way to do it.
The desktop app in Windows ranks the same password as Fantastic.
Perhaps the confirmation pwd field gets filled out on some sites. The site I used was Dell.com.
BTW, I switched from two standalone licenses to a subscription. So far, fast and zero issues. Thanks for the excellent app!

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 1.14.3
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: 1P account

Comments

• pavel_R
    pavel_R
    Community Member
    Options

P. S. I updated a pwd on another site, which also asked for pwd confirmation. This time 1P-X filled out both pwd fields, and everything worked as expected. I am guessing, some sites implement pwd confirmation fields differently than others.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @pavel_R! Thanks so much for the detailed report. It seems like a couple issues are being reported here – one being the fact that your password wasn't filled in both the new password field and the confirm password field, and the other that 1Password for Mac isn't displaying the correct password strength.

We've got the second issue reported, and we could use an overhaul on "human" generated passwords. Now I know you simply pasted the password into the field, but 1Password for Mac would consider that human-generated since it wasn't chosen by our Password Generator (even though it actually was). It's something we're actively working on, and I appreciate you for bringing it up.

The first issue is what I'm having some trouble reproducing. I found Dell's site and was able to create myself an account to test with. The issue is that I can't seem to find the change password page. Each time I click on Account Settings, I'm taken to this page: https://www.dell.com/en-us/gc/myaccount?

All I can see there is:

Would you mind providing the direct URL? Just make sure none of your personal info is hidden inside the URL before posting it here since this is a public forum. If you'd prefer to share the URL over email, just let me know!

ref: apple-2918

• pavel_R
    pavel_R
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kaitlyn,

I am able to log into my account, and the URL for the account page is:
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/myaccount#/ - like you said.

On the account page there are a number of links, one of which is to the password change page, the URL of the link is:
    https://www.dell.com/identity/global/editaccount?c=us&l=en&wreply=https://www.dell.com/en-us/myaccount

Not sure this is of help, it appears that it is a page with dynamic content with iframes that un-hides the fields while the top page URL remains the same in the browser.

If you are interested in figuring out the reason for that failure I can open the page source and send you, but perhaps placing it here on the forum page is a bit of an overkill.

But the easiest way to reproduce the issue is to simply, on the Dell main site, click on Login, then on the login page, on "Forgot password", enter your registered email. The Dell system will generate a coded URL and email it to you. Once you click the link, you will be sent to a page that has two fields for new password. I just tried it, and 1P-X fails to fill both of those fields, but it does offer to update the Dell account record for me.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hi @pavel_R – thank you for explaining this in detail for me. I really appreciate it. :)

I'm thinking the error I received may have been due to my account being recently created. Somehow, I'm able to access the page just fine now. Admittedly, I did try it only minutes after creating my account last time. Either way, I've got my account page pulled up so I can successfully test things. Thanks for offering to supply the page source too.

I was able to reproduce the issue you reported, and I've sent that one off to our developers as well. Thanks again!

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#504

This discussion has been closed.