1Password extension slow in Firefox

This discussion was created from comments split from: Browser extension VERY slow.

Comments

• lohphat
    lohphat
    Community Member

I still have this problem on Windows 10 with the latest FF and 1P.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lohphat,

I am sorry to hear that! Let's try to find out what is going on.

First of all, could you please tell me the exact version of 1Password that you use on your PC? You can find this information in 1Password > Settings > Update:

Secondly, please specify what kind of vault you use in 1Password now. Is it a local vault or 1Password account?

Lastly, please try to use 1Password extension in a different browser, e.g. Chrome. Does the issue remain there?

This information will be quite helpful. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• lohphat
    lohphat
    Community Member

FF Version: 66.0.3
    1P Version: 7.3.684 local vault (Dropbox)

PC is a 4GHz M.2 NVMe+SSD system with a 1gig ISP connection.

• Were you able to try using the extension in a different browser and see if the issues remain as Greg suggested, @lohphat? This isn't something we'd propose as a permanently solution, of course – we want you to be able to use your preferred browser – but it will help us better understand what might be giving you trouble. Thanks! :+1:

• lohphat
    lohphat
    Community Member

When it happens again. I will.

It seems to be worse the longer FF is kept open. Closing and relauching FF seems to reset it. But the other symptom is that the 1Password app is also slow to open.

• Is the main app slow to open universally, @lohphat, or is this something that happens when you first launch and unlock 1Password and clears up as you use it? I know you mentioned things are slower in Firefox the longer the browser is running, but is the main app displaying similar behavior or more the inverse – slow at first and clears up later on?

• lohphat
    lohphat
    Community Member

It's sporadic. e.g. it takes 10-15 sec to save an edited entry sometimes but not others. I have about 800 items in my vault. The valut is local on an NVMe volume.

• That sounds like a known issue that should be sorted once 7.4 comes out. A handful of actions are currently causing some UI delays and saving to a local vault is one of the more common ones. Essentially, we're not handling these individual tasks as efficiently as we could be. For some, this is a fair bit better in 7.2, and given this can actually have a cumulative effect, it could potentially impact filling as well. As such, I'd suggest giving that a try to see if it helps. You can find it here:

https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/win6/1PasswordSetup-7.2.617.exe

If it's better, I'd go ahead and disable automatic updates as well in 1Password > Settings > Update. Let me know specifically what improved too (saving, filling, both) and if it's all around an improvement, I can make sure you get a heads up when 7.4 is out so you can update and see if your troubles are resolved. If not, we can keep on digging. :+1:

• lohphat
    lohphat
    Community Member

I jsut happened again. Sluggish UI, slow pop-up.

Chrome didn't have the same problem.

It seemed to happen after 1Password offered to update a login at an inappropriate time, I closed the window to cancel the update and from that point on until I restarted the browser, 1Password was very slow.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lohphat,

It is quite strange that the issue exists in Firefox, but not in Chrome.

Have you tried to roll back to 1Password 7.2, as Kate suggested above? Does the issue remain with it?

Please let us know. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• lohphat
    lohphat
    Community Member

This has been a long-time problem pre-dating 7.2. I've just crossed the tolerance line to chime in.

It seems that once in the "slow mode" the browser must be restarted. Because calling up the 1P dialog may take 20-30 seconds and then trying to click on an entry results in nothing being filled. I have to manually copy and paste the password.

• Do you have additional extensions in Firefox you perhaps don't have in Chrome, @lohphat? There are still some lingering performance issues we're aware of in 7.3, but most UI lag should have its roots in the main app and thus be browser agnostic. If you only experience trouble in Firefox specifically, it's more likely to be something external in Firefox than anything else.

Now, that said, it sounds like you're checking Chrome after symptoms pop up so Chrome would have a fresh start at that point – something you know to fix the problem – which means this may be misleading us more than anything. Would sticking with Chrome long enough to see whether the same issue occurs there be an option for you, or does it not happen frequently enough to keep that from being a disruption?

This discussion has been closed.