Windows Hello vs Secure Desktop

This discussion was created from comments split from: What is "Unlock on secure desktop?".

Comments

• sunspots
    sunspots
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT
    I'm on 1Password 7 (7.3.684) and saw the icon at the bottom of the window. Does that mean it is now implemented?

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sunspots!

If you are referring to Windows Hello in general, then yes, 1Password 7 for Windows supports it :) But you still have to enter the Master Password the first time. Windows Hello will work after this first time.

• sunspots
    sunspots
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana
    When I hover over the shield it shows as "Unlock using Secure Desktop (Ctrl+Enter)". Is this something different to Windows Hello?

A bit confused.

• @sunspots

I've split your conversation off into its own thread, as it is unrelated to 1Password v4 for Windows (which is what the original thread was about). Yes, that is a different feature from the ability to unlock using Windows Hello. You can read more about how to use Hello with 1Password here:

Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sunspots,

The "Unlock on Secure Desktop" feature is about creating an isolated desktop where only the specific list of processes are allowed to run on that desktop, in our case, only 1Password-authorized processes. It helps protect against key loggers.

Let us know if you have additional questions. :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.