I have 1 password 3 and just upgraded to mojave on my mac and can't open 1 password

tmasif22
tmasif22
Community Member

I can't open 1 password on my mac now that I have upgraded to mojave. I have an iPhone running iOS 12.2 and can't get my passwords there either.

1Password Version: 3 (single)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 10.14.4
Sync Type: not sure
Referrer: forum-search:I have 1 password 3 and just upgraded to mojave on my mac and can't open 1 passwrd

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @tmasif22 ,
    1Password 3 is a legacy version that hasn't been updated or maintained in many years now. Mac OSX Mojave is extremely different than what Mac OSX looked like back then when 1Password 3 came out, so unfortunately 1Password 3 will not work on Mojave.

On the bright side - all you data and passwords are still on your computer. By upgrading to the latest version of 1Password - which is 1Password 7, you will regain access to all of your passwords and data. You can sign up here: https://1password.com/sign-up/

The iOS app will only be able to download your passwords if you have used iCloud or Dropbox sync in your 1Password 3 app on the Mac, or if you have a subscription account in 1Password.com, which I highly recommend :chuffed: . If you did use one of these services, open the iOS app and in the welcome screen scroll down to "Already using 1Password?", and select iCloud or Dropbox as required.

Here are some useful links that you might find interesting:

Feel free to follow up with questions or if you need any further assistance.

• tmasif22
    tmasif22
    Community Member

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I'm not sure where it was backed up to. I do have drop box and it looks like there are some files there.

I signed up for membership and downloaded the app and scrolled down and am not finding already using 1password. Can you help me find it?

• tmasif22
    tmasif22
    Community Member

I'm not technologically savvy. Is there a phone number where I can talk to a person to walk me through this? I really hope that I can import the passwords from the out dated free version!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the quick reply @tmasif22 .
    We do not have phone support, but we're here to help 24/7 :chuffed:

Let's start from the top. After you've singed up for the membership, the first thing you should do is install 1Password 7 on your Mac: https://support.1password.com/get-the-apps/

After you've installed it and signed in to your membership account, it should show you your passwords from 1Password 3. Then you'll need to migrate these passwords from the local vault their in, to your new 1Password.com account so you'll be able to sync them properly using only your 1Password.com account https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#migrate-your-data-on-your-main-device

If you've managed with that part, we can now move to iOS.
    After downloading the app, you'll see this welcome screen:

Scroll down by dragging your finger on the screen until you reach the "Already using 1Password?" section and select the "1Password.com" option to sign in using your new account. After you've signed in, all your passwords should show up on your iPhone as well.

• tmasif22
    tmasif22
    Community Member

I installed the app and signed in before I sent you that last message. Nothing showed up automatically that I had a previous account with 1password 3 version and there were none of my passwords there.

Am I screwed? I only back up to a hard drive and not to iCloud.

• tmasif22
    tmasif22
    Community Member

Thank you for your help by the way.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

No, you're not screwed @tmasif22 :lol:

Let's try and do this manually:

• Right click the finder icon in your dock, and select "Go to folder"
    • Paste this in and click Go: ~/Library/Application Support/
    • Find the 1Password folder there and navigate to the Backup folder in it.
    • You will find many files with long names that contain the date and amount of passwords they store. Select the file with the most recent date and copy it to the desktop.
    • Follow this short guide on how to extract the backup from this file: https://support.1password.com/agilekeychain-zip/
    • After you've managed to turn it into a zip file and extract its content, open and unlock 1Password, then click the "File" menu on the top left next to the Apple logo, and select "Import", then select "1Password Keychain". Follow the process and navigate your way to the file you have extracted from the zip and it should import your passwords to the new 1Password 7.

Let me know if you get stuck at some point, feel free to attach screenshots (as long as they don't contain sensitive information).

This discussion has been closed.