To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master password length moving to account

horatio8
horatio8
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for years on multiple platforms, syncing with Dropbox. I am ready to move to an account and to use 1Password.com to sync. The migration instructions say to use my existing master password when signing up for an account. My existing password, however, is less than 10 digits and the account signup won't accept it. Can I use a new 10 digit master password for my new account? Will I have problems migrating my data with less than a 10 digit password? Will I keep two different master passwords going forward, or can I change the too short one to match? When would I change it? This is making me nervous I will get locked out of my data. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@horatio8: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! You're right that while we recommend you use the same Master Password you have already, that isn't possible if it is less than 10 characters. It's totally okay, and encouraged, for you to use a new Master Password with your account, and this will not affect your ability to migrate your data. Just be sure to save your Emergency Kit and new Master Password somewhere secure in case you need any of that -- for example, if you forget your new Master Password. Just follow these instructions to migrate your existing data to your account:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#migrate-your-data-on-your-main-device

At the end, you'll remove the old vault on your device(s) so you're using only your new account and its (also new) Master Password going forward. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• horatio8
    horatio8
    Community Member

All set - everything worked fine. You might want to add to the migration instructions "use the existing master password, as long as it's 10 characters or more...otherwise make a new master password." Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome. Glad to hear you got it setup. :) :+1:

• Gantless
    Gantless
    Community Member

Indeed, I just encountered this issue today, too. It would be great if the instructions were updated to include what to do if the current master password is less than 10 characters.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your feedback @Gantless :)

This discussion has been closed.