Missing 1Password support for Linux

mlnmhl56
mlnmhl56
Community Member
edited May 2019 in Lounge

:| As a Linux enthusiast, I feel frustrated every time this great OS is ignored by the Developers of otherwise valuable software tools. But it has happened once again with 1Password: you offer apps for the most popular commercial platforms. Not for any of the several popular Linux distributions on the web. I see that I'm not the first one to raise the issue on this forum. And yet, years after they did so, no Linux app has been even announced, not to say added to the list. I find it puzzling...

I have used Red Hat Enterprise Linux since a decade now on my work laptop. And I have used Ubuntu Linux on my home desktop for even longer. Linux is a mature, robust OS used by millions of consumers around the world. Its open source license has never kept authoritative Companies like Red Hat and others to make money on it. So what?

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is one of the few secure OS platforms approved and deployed at the Company where I work for its employees' workstations. Our management recently encouraged us to adopt 1Password on all our devices. But missing an app for my Linux workstation is stopping me from doing so.

Please, do you have any plans to fill this gap? If so, what is your schedule?
Thank you in advance and best regards.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 7.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Linux

Comments

• Hi @mlnmhl56

While it is true that there isn't an equivalent to 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows on Linux we do offer a number of options for Linux:

You can read more about these options here:

Use 1Password on Linux

We'd love to be able to offer an experience more in line with what we offer on Mac & Windows. Hopefully as time and resources allow we'll be able to build something more in-line. That said, outside of our own ops team and a handful of passionate users demand for a more robust Linux offering has been low. What we already offer on Linux seems to meet the needs of most Linux using customers. Beyond the problem of not having unlimited development resources, binary distribution seems to be a real challenge on the Linux platform. Linus Torvalds (creator of Linux) has said: "packaging applications for Linux desktop is extremely painful for app developers." It isn't impossible, but it is a lot of work to create and maintain. We would likely need an additional team of developers focused on Linux only. As we continue to grow that dream may become reality, but I can't make any promises at this point.

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us. I'll keep my fingers crossed something like this will be possible in the future.

Ben

• mlnmhl56
    mlnmhl56
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    thank you for your quick reply. Of course every Developer has the right to set his own priorities, driven by his own judgement. So I can't blame you for Linux not being on top of yours: it does disappoint me, but I can survive. What really upsets me is being totally ignored as a user: OK, you chose not to support Linux at the same level as you do with Windows and iOS. But I wish, at least, to have read the notes you shared with me in your "app" web page. Just to make it clear in the first place that 1Password is "for many but not for all". Anyway, I am clear now, and I have little interest in continuing this discussion.
    Thank you again. Have a great week.

• Thanks for the feedback. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Hi @mlnmhl56.

I'm very excited to announce that there has been progress on this request. You can read more here:

1Password for Linux development preview

We'd love to hear from you over in our new Linux Development Preview forum category. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.