Better Multi-Account Experience?

The experience for multiple accounts is unique in 1Password X. Instead of combined vaults, I have to log in to each vault separately. This is jarring when coming from the desktop and mobile apps. I understand you're dealing with some technical limitations of the browser extension, but can this be improved?

In some posts here, you recommend setting the master password to be the same for all accounts. I have to say, that's very counter-intuitive for me. Every other security recommendation says that I should never use the same password more than once. I'd think that applies doubly for my password vaults. I understand that from a security standpoint, it's nearly equivalent to the strategy that the desktop apps use. However, you seem to be promoting confusing password hygiene.

Ideally, I'd like the browser extension experience to mirror the desktop apps. If that's not possible, would you make the multi-account experience less confusing? I have a couple ideas for that.

• It's not at all obvious how to switch between accounts with different passwords. It'd be nice if you made it more obvious how to do that.
  • It's painful to have to lock one account, before unlocking another. It would be convenient to be able to unlock multiple accounts at the same time.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.0.1
OS Version: 4.13.10-1-ARCH
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @justin_howard,

Thanks for asking about this.

You're absolutely right that our recommendation is to use one Master Password for all your 1Password accounts. (It's called 1Password, after all.) :)

One reason this doesn't materially decrease your security is that each account is also protected by a unique 128-bit Secret Key.

That said, some folks just want to use different passwords for their 1Password accounts. I can't give a time frame, but we're looking at making that easier in the future.

I can't speak for all the devs, but I regularly deal with the issue because I have demo accounts I sign in to for taking screenshots to use in our documentation. I obviously don't use my Master Password for those. So you can be sure I'll be advocating for improvements in this regard. ;)

One of the simplest ways we can make your life – our lives! – easier is to simply allow unlocking multiple accounts at a time. I suspect that will be the first to appear before any other improvements.

Keep an eye out. I know I will!

• kh1pass
    kh1pass
    Community Member

hi @khad , wondering if there is progress made on this front now? I haven't used the 1password mobile app yet, but wondering how easy it is to switch between accounts on a shared device? Will we have to enter the secret key each time or just in initial setup?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

Hi @kh1pass,

You’ve followed up on a post in the 1Password X category on the forum, but it sounds like you're asking about 1Password for iOS. If I’ve gotten that wrong, please let me know. :)

The 1Password apps aren’t designed to be used by multiple people. On your Mac and Windows PCs, user management is provided by the system. You’re best served by having separate user accounts on the computer. That way each person can have not only separate 1Password data, but separate documents, music, and other data as well.

On iOS, though, it’s not possible to set up separate user accounts. So we can’t defer to the system there. At this time, you would need to pretty much completely sign out of your account and then let the other person sign in to their account. It’s a bit more work than just entering your Master Password to unlock. You would need to clear all the data in the app (Settings > Advanced > Erase All 1Password Data). The good news is that you won’t need to enter your Secret Key every time, but 1Password isn’t really designed for multiple users. A single user can have multiple accounts (home, work, and so on). But it’s really designed to offload user management to the system.

To give an updated answer the original question in this thread, though, 1Password X beta now has support for integration with 1Password for Mac. So if you have multiple 1Password accounts, you can lock and unlock them together: both with each other and with 1Password for Mac. It’s very handy!

• kh1pass
    kh1pass
    Community Member

Hi @khad , thanks for following up on this! Yes, I am referring to IOS app. We have a shared company phone for posting on social media, and the duty to make posts fall on a rotation schedule on the team... Hence I thought it's best that everyone keeps their own passwords in their respective 1Password accounts.

Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Happy to help. Maybe one day Apple will add support for multiple users to iOS. That would be a boon for families sharing an iPad, too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kh1pass: I'd say consider using a separate (i.e. not belonging to a particular individual) 1Password account on that device (and perhaps others that are shared by the team) -- maybe a guest account -- since then you can still store the credentials securely in 1Password but not have to worry about sharing things you don't want to between team members. Just a thought. :)

• kh1pass
    kh1pass
    Community Member

Thanks, @brenty , we haven't used guest accounts before and didn't know these existed! We'll explore this option.

• Sounds good, @kh1pass! Let us know how it works out for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.