Have 4.7.3 on macOS Mojave version 10.14.3. NOT TECH SAVVY! Should I upgrade?

Options

Love 1Password on my Mac Air! (1 ) I would like to have it on my iPhone6 as well. (2) For some websites, clicking on the Login in 1Password does not automatically sign me in. Is that my version, or an anomaly of the websites? (3) Is upgrading user-friendly for non-techies? Afraid of losing all the info I have in current version.

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: 4.7.3 (auto update is on)
OS Version: macS Mojave Version 10.14.3
Sync Type: no clue - please explain
Referrer: forum-search:upgrade from 4.7.3 on Mojave

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SusanPCoram: Yes! With Mojave and Safari 12, Apple is moving everyone to their newer Safari App Extensions. 1Password 6 predates that, so whenever Apple disables the old extensions (which you're using now) entirely and shuts down their gallery, old versions of 1Password will not work with Safari anymore. You can get the latest version of all 1Password apps as well as any updates as part of a 1Password membership. This guide will take you through signing up, migrating your existing data, and setting up all your devices:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

To be clear, I don't think that's necessarily related to your filling issues, at least directly, but it's sort of a situation where you're "living on borrowed time" with that setup, so to speak, so I wanted to address that first.

As for the issue I think you're having here:

For some websites, clicking on the Login in 1Password does not automatically sign me in. Is that my version, or an anomaly of the websites?

It would be helpful to know the specifics, including the URL, in case I am misunderstanding -- testing is a good way to make sure we're talking about the same thing. However, if you just mean that 1Password is filling your login credentials but not submitting the login form to sign you in automatically, that would be all websites, since Apple has (I think wisely) disallowed that behaviour -- apps sending keystrokes -- since this can easily be abused. So you'd need to submit the form yourself. 1Password makes an effort to leave the password field focused after filling, since most websites will let you submit the form using the Return key though. So you can either do that or click the "sign in" button (or whatever they happen call it). But if you're having trouble with specific sites, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

On a side note, staying up to date with 1Password also gets you all of the ongoing improvements we make to filling, both now and in the future. Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• SusanPCoram
    SusanPCoram
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I will look into the membership first. If that seems suitable (and not exorbitant) I will join. If the login issues continue with the updated 1Password, I will be in touch.
    Another question: Is my password info kept anywhere other than on my computer? Does 1Password have it?
    Again, thanks! -Susan

• Your encrypted data will be synced to our servers then on to your other devices, @SusanPCoram, but we don't have your data itself. In order to transform the data we do have into something useful that would allow us to sign in to your accounts, we'd need both your Master Password and your Secret Key. We don't have either of these. They're never sent to us and, in fact, never transmitted over the internet at all. They live in your head and anywhere you've written them down and that's it. :+1:

A good way to think of it is that you've given us a copy of your data locked up in a super strong safe. Only you have the keys to the safe, so we can't open it and see what's inside. We can bring that safe from your Mac to your iPhone and once we deliver it to your iPhone, you can use your key to open and see the data inside on another device, but to us it's just a box we can't open. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.