Feature Request - Password Generation

OK, so on many websites I have logins to I get a lot of "special" requirements. Some will say you can only use special characters @$%&* but you have to use one. (No . or , etc). So some times I use the 1Password app to "generate" but then change. Also as websites still have "Max" character limits is there any way to save these "password preferences" per website? Many times I need to manipulate the password in order to get the passwords to work for that site.. (Same goes for saying how many special characters or letters in a password).

1Password Version: Latest (Mac & Windows) & Password X Beta`
Extension Version: 1.15.2
OS Version: Windows, Mac, Android
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @wzielicke – you bring up a great point that's been brought up quite a few times in the past. We think of the Suggested Password and the password generator as completely separate features.

Suggested passwords are meant to fit most site's password requirements so you don't have to use the generator — Just fill and go. The suggested passwords won't adjust based on your Password Generator recipe. Instead it sticks to its guns with a good strong password. The in-app Password Generator you've got your settings applied to can be used as a backup when you need it — It comes in handy with those sticky sites with fussy rules.

If you want our honest opinion, we think it would be spectacular if 1Password X could recognize exactly what the password requirements of a page are and adjust the inline suggested password accordingly. I know I'd personally love to have a feature like that, and it sounds like you'd benefit from it as well. Perhaps farther down the road we could focus on a feature like that, but it's not in our immediate plans. For now, the above workflow should do the job. It's always fun to think about the distant future, though. :chuffed:

• wzielicke
    wzielicke
    Community Member

Thank you Kaitlyn I was just that that you could set "defaults" per website because some websites have the archaic function you need to update the password every 90 days so I have to "fix" these generated passwords all the time to exclude certain characters etc. Thats why this was a "future" function idea. :) Always worth asking. You are right would be awesome if the 1Password app could "read" the "limitations".

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@wzielicke – I totally see where you're coming from. Archaic is a perfect word to describe it. :lol:

I added your "+1" to a feature request we've got created, and thanks for bringing this up!

ref: x/b5x#547

This discussion has been closed.