To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Removing 1password Subscription without Losing Access to Primary Vault

natehouk
natehouk
Community Member

Hello,

I am trying to remove my 1password subscription. I moved all my items back to the primary vault (I have a normal license for 1password as well). I then signed out of the 1password account.

However, after signing out, all the 1password items in the Primary vault become 'readonly' and I can not even delete items. The software indicates the only way to regain access is to purchase a subscription to reenable access to the items, even though they are in my primary vault.

How can I migrate back to a non-subscription?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @natehouk,

Do you have a 1Password 7 for Mac license? Or is your license for an earlier version? Licenses are still available for those who are familiar with them and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach to syncing that they offer, but for the vast majority of people a 1Password membership is going to be the best way forward. Membership is a custom tailored solution that was born to solve many of the problems that are inherent in the way standalone licensing works, including addressing the situation of upgrades not being included.

With a membership (subscription) you always have access to the latest versions of all of the 1Password apps for each of your compatible devices. The Pro features for iOS & Android are included, and there is no need to separately purchase licenses for 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows. It's all part of the package. Additionally custom built sync is included. To sync a device you simply sign in to your 1Password account in the 1Password app on that device and the rest is automagical. This makes adding a new device or replacing a device incredibly simple. There are a host of other benefits as well, which you can read about here. Memberships start at $2.99 USD + tax / mo, which we hope most will feel is a reasonable price for what we're offering.

Membership is the path we recommend, but if you'd prefer a 1Password 7 for Mac license you can select the option to purchase one by selecting the "need a license? We have those too" link at the bottom of the 1Password 7 welcome screen. If you have a v6 license, and don't want to make any purchasing decision right now, you're welcome to continue using that version. I would only caution you though that should be considered a temporary solution. 1Password 6 is no longer being developed/updated. If you go that route we have a guide that may help here: https://support.1password.com/cs/migrate-standalone/ (though it sounds like you've already done this). As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but it is especially important for your operating system, your web browsers, and your password manager.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• natehouk
    natehouk
    Community Member

I do have a 1password 7 license, but I see no way to enter the serial to make it standalone. It just keeps asking me to sign up for a subscription when I click the "read-only" button.

I am using the Mac App Store version. Does the Mac App Store version not allow for standalone licenses and requires a subscription?

• Does the Mac App Store version not allow for standalone licenses and requires a subscription?

That is correct. To use 1Password as a standalone app you'd need to download it from our website:

https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

Ben

This discussion has been closed.