Website doesn't autofill even when manually saving

gazu
gazu
Community Member

One particular website doesn't allow me to autofill.

I've tried creating a new entry via the 1Password desktop app and the 1Password browser extension but it doesn't work.

I've also tried entering the password into the field on the website and 'updating' the entry but it still doesn't work.

Perhaps the confusion is there are two login options:

one login form at the top (the obvious one)
one login form at the very bottom right of the page (both do the same)

All the domain suffixes below are owned by the same company:

https://www.bullionbypost.com/accounts/login/
https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/accounts/login/
https://www.bullionbypost.eu/accounts/login/
https://www.bullionbypost.ie/accounts/login/
https://www.bullionbypost.fr/comptes/connexion/
https://www.orissimo.it/conti/login/
https://www.xrysosonline.gr/logariasmoi/syndesh/
https://www.inversoro.es/

Any help please?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gazu: Holy cow -- those are all the same thing?! :scream:

Sorry, anyway, I am definitely seeing some issues there too, but if you can let me know the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, that will let me know what I'm looking for, and what might help.

To me, it looks like on the first try the username fills in the top form and the password in the bottom one. Filling again results in the bottom form being complete.

Indeed, I think this weirdness is because there are at least two "login" forms on this page, with a total of four forms (including search and "New customer"). Anyway, let me know what you've got. :)

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

@brenty

Holy cow -- those are all the same thing?! :scream:

The company trade internationally hence the multiple domains.

I suspect there's an element to them wanting to protect their name from domain squatters.

if you can let me know the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using

I have a 1Password membership and the following are my versions numbers:

1Password Desktop 7.3.684
    1Password Extension 4.7.3.90
    Google Chrome 74.0.3729.169
    Windows 10 1809 (17763.503)

Filling again results in the bottom form being complete.

I've just tried this now and can confirm this works but it's not intuitive (more the fault of BullionByPost).

What slightly worries me is that my data may be leaking - in other words why:

• does it take two attempts and where does the unfilled data go?
    • if 1Password can fill it the second time, what does it do differently and why can't it do it first time round?

When I tried it on iOS (12.3.1) in Safari with 1Password (7.3.1) it works fine - maybe that's because a mobile version of the site is generated. I'm not sure.

I've not tried it on my Mac or Android devices yet so I can't comment on those platforms.

It's not a major issue as I only login once a month or so but I've not come across this before.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The company trade internationally hence the multiple domains. I suspect there's an element to them wanting to protect their name from domain squatters.

@gazu: That totally makes sense. I was just surprised that many of the names are different, yet the design seems to be the same overall. :)

Anyway, thanks for the info. Good questions!

[why] does it take two attempts and where does the unfilled data go?

As I mentioned above, filling the first time 1Password puts the username in the top login form, and the password in the bottom login form. So, no mystery there. However,

if 1Password can fill it the second time, what does it do differently and why can't it do it first time round?

Filling second time works because 1Password recognizes fields it has already filled and simply ignores them: 1Password sees that it has already successfully filled the password into the bottom form, so it doesn't try to fill that again; and it sees that the field preceding that password field has not been filled, so it only fills that. Not 100% what we want in this case, but 1Password is relatively smart and does the best it can under the circumstances. We'll see if we can make it smarter though! ;)

When I tried it on iOS (12.3.1) in Safari with 1Password (7.3.1) it works fine - maybe that's because a mobile version of the site is generated. I'm not sure.

This is because iOS 12 Password Autofill gets to utilize Apple's integration between the OS and Safari itself, both of which they have full control over. 1Password isn't actually filling anything at all there, just "vending" login credentials to the OS, which handles the rest. We don't have anything like that even on macOS with Safari. But perhaps that will change in the future.

I've not tried it on my Mac or Android devices yet so I can't comment on those platforms.

I'm mostly testing on a Mac here since that allows me to go through a large number of OS, browser, 1Password, and extension combinations conveniently for comparison. Android is a different beast altogether, but one ray of hope I am seeing is that the beta of 1Password X appears to handle this flawlessly. Since you're using Chrome with a 1Password membership anyway, I'd like for you to give that a try.

It's a bit different to what you're used to, but I think you'll get better results on this site and perhaps in other cases due to our new filling engine we've been working on there. In this case, 1Password X has the advantage of knowing which form it should be filling when invoked from the inline icon in the form itself. Otherwise it suffers from the same issue, not knowing what to fill, when doing it from the browser toolbar icon. Just to clarify, 1Password X runs entirely in the browser so it has no integration with the Windows app (yet). But I'd love to hear if you find that helpful.

It's not a major issue as I only login once a month or so but I've not come across this before.

Seriously, thanks for reporting it! It's good to have an issue filed to track this. :)

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#552

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

1Password X has the advantage of knowing which form it should be filling when invoked from the inline icon in the form itself

I've tried it, using the 'new interface', and it certainly does fix the problem. :)

So far (in the normal browser extension) it's the only site that I've not been able to fix by using the 'update' trick and because I only purchase from them monthly (when I get paid) it's not a major issue. I wish I could afford to purchase from them more regularly! :p

I can see the login process potentially becoming an issue if Google and others start doing more stupid stuff with their login forms. Their three-step login process really irritates me: username page, password page, 2SV page. Some services sensibly allow you to enter all three on the same page. :(

But I'd love to hear if you find that helpful.

1Password X is very nice and when I go back to Linux (or Chromebook) I'll definitely be using it there - plus it'll be my only option. As almost everybody uses Google Chrome (or Firefox) it's got me covered.

The only disappointment is that 1Password X doesn't show my beautifully curated rich icons. I like to skip through visually as I treat 1Password like a bookmark manager and using the rich icons helps me do this.

Because I log into quite a few extranet sites when working from home I've manually uploaded the website logo into 1Password using the desktop app. Currently in 1Password X I see nothing other than two letters. Only my most visited sites go on the bookmarks bar in Chrome.

I've also uploaded higher definition / newer re-branded icons for some of the older, out-of-date, default 1Password Rich Icons.

Unfortunately 1Password X (or 1Password Android) doesn't support custom rich icons. :|

Once integration for custom rich icons is introduced, I can see 1Password X being my daily driver within the browser and I'll only use the desktop app for more complicated stuff.

Thanks for all the help. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gazu: Yeah, I'm not a fan of these "clever" login processes either. I mean, as someone working on 1Password it's actually pretty fun because it's something new to puzzle over nearly every day. But then as a user myself and hearing from other 1Password users about these pain points...well, let's just say that can really take the "fun" out of it.

I'm really glad that you're a fan of 1Password X! While it already supports our Rich Icons server for popular sites, you're right that it doesn't currently support custom icons you've added yourself. The good news is that is something we're working on, so hopefully it won't be too long; so all of the icons you've already added will just show up for you once we push out an update with support for those. And I will pass on your request for this in 1Password for Android as well. That's just a matter of time and resources; we'll add that there in the future too. :)

I know you made this comment sort of off the cuff, but...

I've also uploaded higher definition / newer re-branded icons for some of the older, out-of-date, default 1Password Rich Icons.

If you have some like that, while I can't promise any time frame, I'll be happy to file issues for us to get them updated when we have some spare cycles. I just need the following:

• website URL
    • image URL or file at about 500px square

Cheers! :)

ref: android-327, x/b5x#1257

This discussion has been closed.