Entering a password with Touch ID on a MacBook in Safari, 1Password does not pop-up to save password

I installed 1Password on a client's MacBook Air on 5/30/19. Installed the latest version.
We are using Safari with the latest plug-in installed.
When I manually enter credentials on a web site like Xfinity (https://login.xfinity.com), I get the 1Password pop-up asking if I want to save the credentials to 1Password.
When I use Touch ID to use credentials saved in Safari, Safari populates the user ID and password, auto-submits, and logs me on. I never get the 1Password pop-up to save the credentials in 1Password.

How do I easily import all the passwords saved in Safari into 1Password, or get the 1Password pop-up to show then 1st time I log in to a site with passwords saved in Safari and validated with Touch ID?

Thanks
Peace
Er
IC

1Password Version: latest as of 5/20/19
Extension Version: latest as of 5/30/19
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:Entering a password with Touch ID on a MacBook in Safari, 1Password does not prompt to save password.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TheGreenHornet: There isn't a way for 1Password to get your data you've saved using Safari out of the Keychain, and Keychain (and Safari) do not offer export functionality. So it can be a bit tricky. @MrC ’s converter has a tool that can help automate it, but if you only have a small number of passwords saved with Safari it may be easier to just grab them out of Keychain Access or view them in Safari Preferences > Passwords yourself. The converter can help a great deal though if you have many you need to transfer.

Also, it's probably not something you want to do quite yet while you're still dependent on Safari's autofill for some things, but once you have your data in 1Password I'd recommend disabling that feature in the browser to avoid confusion and conflicts going forward.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@TheGreenHornet ,

If you want to see a screen video of the process, I'm happy to make one available to you. I've been meaning to do this anyway.

• TheGreenHornet
    TheGreenHornet
    Community Member

I'd appreciate a screen video. Thank you both.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@TheGreenHornet ,

I've posted the video on the extraction / conversion process.

Download the converter suite as per the instructions. At the same location as the converter suite zip file, you'll see an Extra Help folder, and within that, you'll see Screenshots and Samples. The video to watch is ConvertSafariPasswords.mp4.

You can also review the README.html file; it walks you through the conversion / import process. I have not yet fully documented the Safari extraction process in the README, so just use the video as your guide. The video shows you the Safari extraction, and conversion of the resulting CSV file into a 1Password 1PIF file. This is the file you want to import into 1password.

Btw. I used to love The Green Hornet TV series when I was a kid.

• TheGreenHornet
    TheGreenHornet
    Community Member

Dude!!

Worked like a charm. Made me look like a genius at my client's today.
    Thanks for the help, the scripts, and the video tutorial.

Green Horneting at you.

Peace
    Er
    IC

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Excellent news, @TheGreenHornet

Enjoy 1Password!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni