Problems after changing to iPhoneX

Timneh
Timneh
Community Member

Hi,
I have been using 1password6 for years with a standalone license on my iMac, my iPad and my iPhone 8. It worked fine! Now I changed to iPhoneX. After setting up was now 1Password7 on my new iPhoneX. If I try to start this new version, the program will request the security code. But as a user of the standalone license I don´t have this code. What should I do now? Should I upgrade to 1Password7 on my iMac and my iPad too? Will this solve the problem? What about my passwords? Are they lost? Or is it possible to get the 1Password6-Version for my new phone?
I hope, you can help me.
Best regards
Cornelia

1Password Version: 1Password6 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Hi @Timneh,

Licenses are still available for those who are familiar with them and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach to syncing that they offer, but for the vast majority of people a 1Password membership is going to be the best way forward. Membership is a custom tailored solution that was born to solve many of the problems that are inherent in the way standalone licensing works, including addressing the situation of upgrades not being included.

With a membership (subscription) you always have access to the latest versions of all of the 1Password apps for each of your compatible devices. The Pro features for iOS & Android are included, and there is no need to separately purchase licenses for 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows. It's part all part of the package. Additionally custom built sync is included. To sync a device you simply sign in to your 1Password account in the 1Password app on that device and the rest is automagical. This makes adding a new device or replacing a device incredibly simple. There are a host of other benefits as well, which you can read about here.

Membership is the path we recommend, but if you'd prefer a 1Password 7 for Mac license you can select the option to purchase one by selecting the "need a license? We have those too" link at the bottom of the 1Password 7 for Mac welcome screen. If you have a v6 for Mac license, and don't want to make any purchasing decision right now, you're welcome to continue using that version. v6 for Mac can sync with v7 for iOS. It is not possible to download v6 on a modern iOS device. I would only caution you though that should be considered a temporary solution. 1Password 6 is no longer being developed/updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but it is especially important for your operating system, your web browsers, and your password manager.

You can read about migrating to a membership here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If you'd prefer to continue with standalone for now please scroll down on the 1Password 7 for iOS welcome screen on the iPhone X and select the sync option you've been using.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Timneh
    Timneh
    Community Member

Hello Ben,
    thank you for trying to help me. Maybe I didi not express myself correctly. When I tried to connect iOS (1Password7) with my iMac (1Password6) I had to enter a secret key after clicking >>WLANServer. I didn´t know, which code, because I never had an account. But I could solve the problem now. In the '1Password6'-settings on my iMac I found tomorrow morning this code after clicking on WLAN-server! :-) And now it works fine!!!

What still interests me is the way to update the 1Password7 on my iMac. Every time I click here on the button to download the new version the installation stops. I don't know why! Is this the right way to purchase the standalone license for 1Password7 or is there another possibility?

Please excuse my bad english! :-(

Best regards

Timneh

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Timneh: Could you please clarify what you're seeing? I don't know what you mean by "it stops". If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• Timneh
    Timneh
    Community Member

Hello Brenty,
    I could solve my problem an install the 1Password7 on my iMac! I had to quit the 1Passsword mini first!
    But now, there is another problem. When I try to buy a license for this version, the following message appears:

I once had a membership of 1Password6, but just as a test version. Maybe I created an account then. I don´t know it anymore. I found some informations about my secret key and was now able to log in. But what shall I do now? I don't want to do anything wrong and suddenly activate a membership.
    Best regards
    Timneh

• @Timneh

Please make sure you are not signed into an account if you don't want a membership. This guide may help:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

Ben

• Timneh
    Timneh
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    thank you for your help! It works! :)
    I have still another question. I use the 1Password extension for safari! Now I would like to use it for google chrome again. What do I have to do? Is it possible to save all my passwords again for google chrome?
    Best regards
    Timneh

• @Timneh

Glad to hear that helped. As for Chrome... are we talking about Chrome on Mac or on iOS (iPhone)? If we're talking about Mac then you'd need to install the extension:

https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

If we're talking about iOS then 1Password is available in the Chrome share sheet:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone and iPad

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Timneh
    Timneh
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    we are talking about Chrome on Mac. I have already installed the extension. But now?
    Best regards
    Timneh

• @Timneh

Thanks. We have a guide on using the extension in Chrome on a Mac here:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

Ben

• Timneh
    Timneh
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    I should have mentioned, that I use the standalone license. I have no account! Every time, I want to log in on any page and use my keyboard shortcut, nothing happens. When I click the 1Password-sign, there comes the message, that I had to log in on my 1Password-Account. But I have no account. :-(
    Best regards
    Timneh

• @Timneh

It sounds like you may have 1Password X instead of the 1Password desktop extension installed. Please try uninstalling 1Password X and then install the extension using the link above.

Ben

• Timneh
    Timneh
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    sorry for causing so many problems! :-((
    I don´t know, if I installed 1Password X. When I open the link above in google chrome the following window appears.

When I click >install under the sign of google chrome I get the following window.

And at this point I can*t get any further.
    Best regards
    Timneh

• Hmm. That is the correct extension, not 1Password X, so that isn't the problem. Could you please post a screenshot of the message that you see when you try to fill a login, so long as it doesn't show any private info?

Ben

• Timneh
    Timneh
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    .....what can I say? ......It works! :-))))))) I don´t know why! Maybe my Mac needs more time! It´s just too hot here today in my office!
    Thank you so much for your patience!
    Best regards!
    Timneh

• I'm glad to hear it started working. :) If we can be of further assistance please let us know.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.