Why all those possible entries ?

Gilles9
Gilles9
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

When I log in my Bank ( https://accweb.mouv.desjardins.com/ )

after the first screen I get to the password page
and I see all this ( Identities and credit cards)

the valid entry is the first at the top, it should fill directly, and used to

1Password Version: 7.3.1beta0
Extension Version: same
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• Hi Gilles9,

Those items are suggestions based on the content of the web page.
    For example, if it looks like there may be a place to fill in an address or credit card on the web page, then those items will be suggested.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

The only field to fill is

no other field or space to fill anything

Used to work fine, the site hasn't changed at all for a long time

• chadseld
    edited June 2019

The addition of new item types to the suggestion section is new with version 7.3, so the behavior just changed. I'm not sure what on that page is triggering the identity and credit card suggestions, but I'll confer with the team and investigate. My understanding is that the accuracy of the suggestions will improve over time.

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#483

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

OK thanks, I'll wait for your findings

so far it did not improve since last week

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

I suppose the "Our all new "filling brain" analyzes web pages when you bring up 1Password mini and only shows you the items you can fill on that page."
    has a problem

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Not fixed in 7.3.1beta 1

• Hi @Gilles9

This is something we'd like to improve but we have a few other irons in the fire at the moment. It may be a little bit before we see any changes here. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I wanted to be up front about that.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9: You can press ⌘ \ and 1Password will show nothing at all; it will simply fill. ;)

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Really, isn't this the shortcut for filling ?

the image above is after doing the shortcut
    and it does not fill, it shows all those entries

I agree it should fill automatically, this is the problem with the "filling brain"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9: Indeed, that is the shortcut for filling. If you have a single Login item saved for the site, 1Password won't show you an item list at all because it will just fill it. I just tried it again and it works just fine:

1. Go to https://accweb.mouv.desjardins.com/identifiantunique/identification
    2. Press ⌘ \
    3. (field is filled by 1Password; nothing else happens)

Have you maybe changed some settings?

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Yes, my shortcut is different, but works correctly on any other site
    the problem with this site is the second page where the password is entered
    this is where I get all those entries, the right login/password at the top, then the identities and the credit cards

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9: Could you please take a screenshot of 1Password Preferences > General? To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to include anything sensitive in the screenshot, as this is public forum. Thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9: Thanks. What are the exact browser and extension versions are you using there? I'm trying to reproduce the problem you're having.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9: You're seeing this in Safari? That's surprising. If you press ⌘ \ on the same page in Chrome or another browser, what happens? I thought you might be using another browser with an outdated extension. Do you have any other extensions installed in Safari?

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Same issue with Firefox

With Safari , I use Adblock, but the problem remains even when I disable adblock
    no other extension, except 1Password

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9: Thanks. I'm just unable to reproduce what you're seeing in Safari at all, only in other browsers by using an outdated extension which doesn't support giving 1Password information about the page to determine what to show in mini. Please try the following:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Quit 1Password Completely -- Command Option Control Q
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Install a fresh copy of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/
    6. Open Safari and verify that 1Password is present and enabled in Preferences > Extensions

Let me know how it goes.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

I did what you suggested...
    still same behavior

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9: What's the URL saved in the Login item? Would you be able to provide a video, perhaps via email? I'm not able to get it to behave the way you're saying, and we're not getting reports like this from anyone else.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Hi

for the second page which is looking for the password
    the URL in the Login item of 1Password is https://accweb.mouv.desjardins.com/identifiantunique/authentification

don't know how you can get to this second page, but if this help the first page ( https://accweb.mouv.desjardins.com ) is looking for 12 digits user name
    the you get to the second page which looks only for a password,
    only one field available which is a password field

uncertain if you guys can get there without a valid account, as a second page may ask you a secret question the first time you use an account, but the url of this password page is the one above

what is unusual is that the site hasn't changed for a long time, and 1Password was filling OK, directly,
    without offering Identities and Credit cards as in my original post
    and 1password recognize the real as it is the top one on the list
    the webpage has no place for an identity entry or a credit card entry, only one field "password"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9: Either of those URLs redirects me to https://accweb.mouv.desjardins.com/identifiantunique/identification -- not unexpected since I do not have an account to get to the second step; but if you go to this URL do you get a different result? I'm trying to understand why/how it could behave differently just for you. Can you try another browser?

If you'd be willing to provide page source via email, that may be helpful since we won't be able to access it ourselves.

But to clarify,

what is unusual is that the site hasn't changed for a long time, and 1Password was filling OK, directly, without offering Identities and Credit cards as in my original post

1Password mini is all new in version 7.3, as is suggesting Credit Card and Identity items in addition to Logins. When 1Password can tell from the page that only certain types of filling are relevant, it only shows those types of items; when it cannot tell, it will show all of them. That's working as designed. In this case, since there is no login form or anything else that lets 1Password know the purpose of the page, it offers you all of the item types available for filling there. Again, that's expected. What is unexpected and what I'm trying to figure out is why the keyboard shortcut shows you a list instead of just filling.

Do you have more than one Login item and/or Password item saved for the site? Scroll through the list that it's showing you to make sure.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Same result on the initial URL for signing in (your link: https://accweb.mouv.desjardins.com/identifiantunique/identification)

I tried with Firefox same result

You can get the page source from your link, as it shows the same results ( Login, Identities and Credit cards) from 1Password )
    so the problem can show there as well, I would think

the only difference I can see is in the field "Username" you could enter a number or an email address. Could this be why I get identities as well (email) ?
    if so then why Credit cards do appear

And to say on the second page to which you cannot access, there is only one option "password" and it cannot be an email address, and if 1Password figure sit can be a credit card number, the why only on this site

Thanks

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Could you make or add an option for "firm" website

I mean that the website for a particular login as to be identical in its entirety ( between the website and the website identify in the Login )
    like a locked website

an idea

as I have similar problems on other websites ( eg the website address contains some identical part ( ex: BNC and BNC/CDBN which are different and have totally different logins )

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gilles9: Let's try to stay focused. Earlier you mentioned that you've changed your keyboard shortcut -- I think to ⌘ À. Is that correct? If so, what keys do you actually press to make that? And can you try setting the keyboard shortcut to something else -- say, ⌘ /?

It's something with the shortcut on your system I think, since you mention that pressing it in other browsers also results in 1Password mini appearing instead of just filling. You didn't answer my question though:

Do you have more than one Login item and/or Password item saved for the site? Scroll through the list that it's showing you to make sure.

Also, are you able to have 1Password fill using the keyboard shortcut without showing mini at any website (for example, this forum)? Please let me know.

as I have similar problems on other websites ( eg the website address contains some identical part ( ex: BNC and BNC/CDBN which are different and have totally different logins )

Please give me specific examples. For each:

• What is the URL in the browser?
    • What is the URL in the Login item?
    • How many Login and Password items total do you have saved for the site?
    • What are the exact steps you're taking, and the result?

the only difference I can see is in the field "Username" you could enter a number or an email address. Could this be why I get identities as well (email) ? if so then why Credit cards do appear And to say on the second page to which you cannot access, there is only one option "password" and it cannot be an email address, and if 1Password figure sit can be a credit card number, the why only on this site

As I explained above, 1Password should suggest Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities for filling when the page is not obviously just for login, just for payment, etc., as in this case.

So let's focus on the keyboard shortcut, since that isn't working as expected on your system.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

If so, what keys do you actually press to make that? And can you try setting the keyboard shortcut to something else -- say, ⌘ /

No friendly to use on a French Canadian keyboard

Forget about it....

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

@brenty Earlier in the thread you said this ....

"When 1Password can tell from the page that only certain types of filling are relevant, it only shows those types of items; when it cannot tell, it will show all of them. That's working as designed. In this case, since there is no login form or anything else that lets 1Password know the purpose of the page, it offers you all of the item types available for filling there. Again, that's expected."

Respectfully, while the mini may be "working as designed" I think the issue here is that the current behavior is certainly "not expected" by some (perhaps many?) users. The Suggestions view including things that can't be filled is mentally disconcerting because it's at odds with its stated purpose. Hence the OP. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@OAW: I don't mean to be rude, but I'm trying to troubleshoot a specific issue with Gilles9 here, regarding something that doesn't seem to be working as designed on his system, with the keyboard shortcut for filling. We've heard your feedback on the mini design already in a number of other threads, and will continue to evaluate that along with feedback from everyone else. Posting the same thing in multiple places just slows down response time for everyone, as we -- and you -- are repeating ourselves. And it is not helpful to try to steer things off-topic when we're trying to troubleshoot a specific, separate issue with someone. Please be more considerate in the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If so, what keys do you actually press to make that? And can you try setting the keyboard shortcut to something else -- say, ⌘ /

No friendly to use on a French Canadian keyboard

@Gilles9: I understand completely. I don't have a French keyboard in front of me here, so that was just an example. Can you try something else? It may also help to know the specific keys you're pressing to make ⌘ À. Hopefully we can narrow down what's causing this for you and either make a change in 1Password to help with it, or offer some workaround. I love the filling keyboard shortcut, and I want you to be able to use it too. :)

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

@brenty Well that's an interesting response given how I was quite literally addressing the issue outlined in the OP and thread title. And while I fail to see how doing so would be trying to "steer things off-topic" .... I'll extend my apologies nonetheless since that was certainly not my intent.

This discussion has been closed.