Dropbox sync complains of incorrect master password

I just purchased the 1Password family bundle for Mac / Windows, and tried to set things up with Dropbox sync last night for my dad on his iPad and Windows PC. I can access his PC remotely, but of course, not the iPad, so helping remotely will be a challenge. Here's the problem for which I have found no relevant solution after considerable web searching:

The PC is running Windows XP (SP3) and latest versions of 1Password and Dropbox downloaded and installed last night. Running latest versions (also as of last night) of IOS, 1Password, and Dropbox on the iPad.
I configured 1Password to place its keychain in My Documents\Dropbox\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain
The master password on both the iPad and Windows versions are simple (only alphanumerics, no punctuation or other special or weird characters). I can access my Agile keychain on either device using the same master password with no problem.
I created one software entry in the Windows keychain, and tried to sync from the iPad, hoping to see its keychain get updated with that entry, but I received the "Master Password was incorrect. Please enter the Master Password you used on Mac or PC." error that has been the subject of some discussion for several months.
The only solutions I have seen were related to special characters in the master password, or inability to find the file; I believe neither of these solutions is relevant in my case, since there is no complaint about failure to find the file, and I used no special characters. I also followed one instruction to check the contents of the file My Documents\Dropbox\.ws.agile.1Password.settings file, and found it contains [only] this text (1Password/1Password.agilekeychain), which is consistent with where I have configured the app to place the keychain (except that I notice the use of a '/' directory delimiter instead of the more conventional '\' Windows delimiter).
I have retried the sync several times, having reset the iPad in between, and am now out of ideas.

Any help to resolve this persistent and disappointing problem will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Bruce

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2011
    Welcome to the forums, Bruce. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

It sounds like you may have two different master passwords — one for 1Password on the iPad and one in Windows. The master password is not synced between platforms since some users do prefer to use a simpler password on the virtual keyboard in iOS.

Try resetting Dropbox syncing on the the iPad (Settings > Sync > Dropbox > Account > Reset) and ensure that you are entering the correct master password on the iPad. It sounds like you have already been trying to do this, but resetting Dropbox syncing may just do the trick.

Please let me know how it turns out.
  • bereid
    bereid
    Community Member
    Hi Khad,

Thank you for your reply, and instructions. It wasn't easy guiding my dad through your instructions, since I don't own an iPad, and I couldn't be with him to see what was on his screen. But after a couple of failed attempts, your sync reset suggestion appears to have worked!

There was eventually a message saying that the sync had completed. However, I logged into his Windows PC remotely from my house, and added a Login entry to his 1Password keychain there, then locked the keychain, and closed 1Password. Then I asked him to open 1Password on his iPad to see if the new entry would show up. It did not, so I guided him to the settings page where he could tap the Sync Now button. It indicated (briefly) that it was syncing, and then that it had completed; still the new entry did not show up. So I asked him (by phone) to reboot his iPad, and after that, the new entry finally showed up.

So I'm wondering what triggers the Dropbox sync mechanism to notice a change on one device, and fully propagate that change to there other device(s)? Is there a time interval that must elapse before the sync is actually done? It doesn't quite make sense to me that the successful 'Sync Now' action on the iPad would not have done the trick, UNLESS the change had not yet been uploaded from his Windows PC to the Dropbox cloud. Do you have any ideas about why the sync operations might be so sluggish, or why one must take such explicit actions like rebooting the iPad before the sync is fully complete?

Thanks again very much for your help,
    Bruce

khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Bruce. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

It sounds like you may have two different master passwords — one for 1Password on the iPad and one in Windows. The master password is not synced between platforms since some users do prefer to use a simpler password on the virtual keyboard in iOS.

Try resetting Dropbox syncing on the the iPad (Settings > Sync > Dropbox > Account > Reset) and ensure that you are entering the correct master password on the iPad. It sounds like you have already been trying to do this, but resetting Dropbox syncing may just do the trick.

Please let me know how it turns out.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Dropbox sync should be fully automatic on the iPad. The speed of the propagation is entirely dependent on the network connections between computer <-> Dropbox <-> iPad. It is possible that the change had not been fully uploaded to Dropbox when you performed the initial test. It normally takes a few seconds over a broadband connection, so if dial-up (or another, slow connection) is in the mix, you will likely see delays.

I would try to get him to perform some further testing. It may just be taking longer than instantaneously. I would have him create an item on the iPad and see how long it takes to show up within 1Password for Windows.

I am anxious to hear the results. :-)
  • Hi Khad,

I am experiencing simular problems. Running 3.9 on the Mac and latest 1password Pro version on the Mac. Trying to sync my iPhone 1 Password with Dropbox.
    I follow the intstructions on your pages (http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html#)
    Then on the iPhone I do the following steps:
    1. Master password on iPhone. [next]
    2. Login to Dropbox. [next]
    (it is now locating the files in Dropbox. That seems to work)
    3. Master Password on Mac or PC.
    There starts the trouble: when filling out my 1Password Master Password from the MAC, I get the following warning:
    "This Master Password is incorrect. Please enter the Master Password you used (btw shouldn't that be "use"?) on Mac or PC."

Then there is this sentence which makes things even more complex: "Please note this password can be different than the password used for Dropbox, iPhone, or iPad?"

Anyway, what I tried over and over again is to fill out my "1Password Master Password" used on the Mac 1Password application.

Please let me know what I should do to get it working...

Thanks!

Ps. By the way, until now this whole application is not making my life easier. In fact it is a hell of a job to get everything working. I had problems with changing the master password too. The browser extensions didn't take a master password change. I had to reinstall 1Password and the browser extension, create a new Master Password to get that working. So don't change your master password ever...??! Otherwise you are in trouble. Anyway, that was solved the other day.... I expect Mac applications over $19,99 and €11,99 for iPhone to work, being in the business myself.
  • Hi Fopster,

Can you please verify that your 1Password for Mac application is actually using the database on Dropbox? You can check this in 1Password > Preferences > General under "Your data stored in.'

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties thus far but I'm confident that we can get this going for you and promise that your experience is not common.

Also, we do not actually recommend changing your Master Password unless you really have to. You can read about all the security behind that if you are interested here: Better Master Passwords: The geek edition and here: Toward Better Master Passwords (especially this one, under the section "change a weak master password, otherwise leave it be").
This discussion has been closed.