To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Using both licensed account and subscription account

1pGeo
1pGeo
Community Member

Been using 1P since long before there was subscription services. Don't want subscriptions. Just want licensed version (for my stuff).

However, might be using 1P for Teams/Businesses in the near future.

Just wanted to ensure that the stand-alone account will play nicely with a subscription account.

I (for obvious reasons) want to keep my existing individual account, pay for my own account, and not have any other interaction between the two, other than just being able to select different Vaults in the sidebar as needed.

Second question: Dawns on me that question also pertains to Stand-alone plus Family. I would presume the same holds true. But what happens with Stand-alone, Business/Teams, AND Family? So, that's essentially 3 different accounts.

(Are there other plans? Did I miss one? Same general question for any/all possible accounts at the same time.)

Just trying to anticipate any potential headaches.
Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @1pGeo

We don't typically recommend using standalone vaults in combination with membership accounts, but it is possible, yes. The primary difficulty is that it tends to cause confusion when it comes to unlocking. The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added. So, if you have a standalone vault ("Primary") and an account... changing the Master Password for your account will not change the Master Password that you have to use to unlock the apps.

I (for obvious reasons) want to keep my existing individual account, pay for my own account, and not have any other interaction between the two, other than just being able to select different Vaults in the sidebar as needed.

This would also be possible with an individual membership rather than a standalone vault. :+1:

Ben

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

@1pGeo

Just wanted to ensure that the stand-alone account will play nicely with a subscription account.

Yes, they're separate.

Standalone vaults work without problem even with a subscription account.

But what happens with Stand-alone, Business/Teams, AND Family?

• Standalone vaults remain in the sidebar.
    • Business/Teams accounts have their data uploaded to the cloud.
    • Family accounts also upload their data to the cloud.

N.B. You can also use a subscription account with standalone vaults so you have the advantage of inclusive upgrades and 1Password on all supported platforms. It's cheaper than buying a new licence each time a major version is released.

Are there other plans? Did I miss one?

No and no.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your help here @gazu :)

This discussion has been closed.