To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Possible Glitch in Secure Notes

glindsey
glindsey
Community Member

I am using a "sample screenshot" to preserve my privacy but here is what I am observing. A Secure Note in 1Password7 in the regular mode shows a cluttered interface with an odd font and all sorts of boxes. When the Edit button is clicked, the Secure Note is shown in an easy- to-read font minus all the crazy boxes. This behavior does not occur in 1Password for the iPad or the Android phone but only occurs on the 1Password 7 for the Mac Desktop. The fact that the behavior in the app only occurs in a single version of the app makes me think it may be a glitch.

I would love for you to eliminate the crazy fonts and boxes that occur when you first click on a Secure Note in 1Password, as I find myself switching the the edit mode just in order to be able to read it.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1Password Subscription

Comments

• @glindsey

This is a result of the indenting which in Markdown means "this block of text is code:"

Format your secure notes with Markdown | 1Password

If you'd prefer not to use Markdown in 1Password the above guide explains how to disable it. :+1:

Ben

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. Is Markdown an "all or nothing" application? In other words, is it possible to use Markdown on one secure note and not on another?

Personally, I like many features of Markdown, such as the ability to use bold snd italicized fonts. But I can think of many instances where I might want to indent and not because I have "code." Guess there is no way to turn off this one annoying feature.

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

@glindsey

The link Ben provided tells you how to do this.

Markdown is on by default but can be selectively disabled

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gazu: I think "selectively" may give the impression that Markdown can be disabled per item, but that isn't the case.

Is Markdown an "all or nothing" application? In other words, is it possible to use Markdown on one secure note and not on another?

@glindsey: It's a single option in 1Password Preferences > General as far as whether the feature is enabled throughout 1Password. However, you can leave it enabled and simply not use Markdown syntax in individual notes, and they will not be formatted.

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Thank you, Brenty, for that clarification. Unfortunately, I can not see myself using Markdown language as it is currently implimented in 1Password because it is counterintuitive.

Please consider giving us a little menu, like you do here in the comments section, so that we may click on the icons to indicate whether we want our text boldfaced or italicized. Or alternatively, let us use commands with which we already are familiar rather than having to learn a whole new syntex. For instance, highlight any text on a Mac and then hit the command key + the letter "B" for boldface type or the letter "I" for italicized type. The intended use for Markup language seems to be for programmers and developers rather than ordinary users, like myself.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@glindsey: Markdown support was a highly-requested feature because it's incredibly popular because it's intuitive and human-readable plaintext -- even on mobile devices -- without the need for inaccessible metadata (like most rich text). We have no plans to remove it or change it to something else, as it's a widely-supported standard that is in popular use in many apps. But, as mentioned above, you can disable it if you don't like it, and 1Password will work the way it always did before we introduced that last year.

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Brenty, I can see how Markdown language can be useful! I guess I just fail to see how a little hidden menu like the one you have here could not be added. You could even have a simple color palette that would allow users to select the color of the text that they wish to use. Just a thought!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Markdown doesn't support that, and we haven't had requests for coloured text editing in 1Password. I guess it could happen someday, but we really try to focus on making the best password manager we can. There are already plenty of awesome rich text editors and notes apps out there. I'm not sure we need or want to compete with those. :)

This discussion has been closed.