Safari extension stopped working

Options

Hello Team. Are there any problems with latest update for Safari extension/App extension? After updating, Extension disappeared from Safari. When I am trying to install again, 1pwd website states that I dont need extension because it is embedded in 1PWD v7 (which I currently have). However, when I am trying to use shortcut cmd+backslash to fill in credentials, 1pwd prompts me to go to Safari preferences and enable 1pwd extension (which I dont have since it should be embedded in 1pwd app for Safari). Seems like endless circle of errors to me. Any ideas?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: OS X 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Skodovka! Welcome to the forum!

Just to confirm: if you open Safari Preferences and go to the Extensions tab, do you not see the 1Password extension in the list there?

• Skodovka
    Skodovka
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for reply @ag_ana , no I dont see it there. It used to be there before and I did not have any problem, but today morning I updated app or extension (cant remember which one poped up) and it disappeared. After I noticed it disappeared, I went to 1pwd website and saw that v7 has this extension embedded and I dont need to install it. But whenever I try shortcut for safari cmd+backslash it acts like I need enable extension. So key questions are, is it really true that v7 does not require extension to be installed? And 2nd, if not, where should I download it, since website states it is nor required? Thank you

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Skodovka

So key questions are, is it really true that v7 does not require extension to be installed?

That's correct. As of 7.2 and later, 1Password 7 for Mac uses the new extension format from Apple in Safari 12 -- Safari App Extensions. This extension format is actually part of the 1Password app, so not only is no external download/install necessary, it's not possible. If you do not see 1Password 7 for Mac's extension in Safari's Preferences > Extensions, then something's gone wrong. The first thing I'd try is restarting both Safari and 1Password:

1. Quit Safari in the usual way
    2. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    3. Relaunch both 1Password 7 for Mac and then Safari and see if the extension is visible. If it is, make sure it's also enabled (checked), and then see if you can get it to work.

If none of that works, try a restart of your Mac.

If that still doesn't work, you may need to reinstall 1Password 7 for Mac -- this won't affect your data, as it's stored in your user Library folder, not within the app. Just fully quit 1Password for Mac (use above instructions to fully quit), then delete it. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to your Mac's trash, then empty the trash. Visit our downloads page to get a fresh copy of the latest version's installer and run it. Let us know how you get on! :)

• Skodovka
    Skodovka
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thanks a lot for exhausting answer. Issue has been resolved. For the future use, complete shutdown of both Safari and 1PWD didnt help and neither the restart of Mac. What helped was complete turnoff of Mac (some cashed data was causing trouble perhaps?). Immediately after startup, extension was visible in Safari and ticked as before.

Thanks a lot for your support

• Hey @Skodovka, I'm thrilled to hear you're back in operation after Lars's help. Let us know if you need anything else. :smile:

• Skodovka
    Skodovka
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_mcarlyle . No, I am good. We can close this thread. Thanks again for your teams support.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.