1pwdX extension stops working in Brave until I restart the browser

I've switched to the Brave browser recently and am a long time 1pwd user. I've installed the 1pwdX browser extension to Brave and it works. Initially. But within not too long a time it asks me to install the extension again when I try to use it--even though I can see it in the bar where all my active extensions are.

To make it work, I have to quit Brave and restart. Pretty frustrating.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 1.15.3
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: cloud

Comments

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member

Update: At the moment, after a restart of Brave, I am able to click the extension icon to pull down 1pwdX, but "Cmd /" only brings up a window that says I need to install 1pwdX.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@slobizman - I'm sorry for the confusion! That sounds to me as if you're trying to use 1Password X in the context of 1Password 7 for Mac as well. Right now, the two are (mostly, which I'll get to in a moment) separate. The command you're probably quite used to using with our long-time ("desktop app required") extension, ⌘\ , is what's causing this. Because 1Password X communicates directly with the 1password.com servers, it does not need and cannot communicate with the local 1Password 7 for Mac app, if you have it installed. 1Password X was designed to be a solution that doesn't require the presence of a local app, which is how it works on Linux or Solaris or any other OS for which we don't have a native 1Password app. All you need is a compatible browser (Firefox, Chrome, some Chrome derivatives such as Opera, Brave, Vivaldi), and that's it.

But the ⌘\ command is a directive to the 1Password 7 for Mac app to open and fill the saved Login for the current webpage, using the older, ("desktop app required") extension. Since stable-channel 1Password X doesn't currently communicate with 1Password 7 for Mac, the app looks for the presence of the older extension...which you don't have installed (or at least, not active). Hence the pop-up prompt you're seeing to install the "desktop app required" extension in order for that command to work.

There are a few paths forward here:

1. You can disable/remove 1Password X and switch back to the older ("desktop app required") extension (do NOT attempt to run them side-by-side in the same browser simultaneously). This will restore the functionality of the ⌘\ command, but you won't be able to enjoy all the features of 1Password X.
    2. You can stop using the ⌘\ command, and get acquainted with the keyboard shortcut features of 1Password X - notably ⌘-Return, which is the closest thing to what you're used to.
    3. You can - if you're willing to run beta versions of both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password X - join us out here on the bleeding edge and try out the new Desktop App Integration, which for the first time allows communication between the desktop 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password X. It's a work-in-progress, but it's the direction of the future, and (as I mentioned, IF you're willing to run beta versions) the future is (or can be) now.

Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member

Thank you for the detailed explanation Lars. So, if I have no preference on either the 7 or X extension, is your recommendation that I do #2 above, and eventually I'll end up with what #3 offers as it leaves beta?

And yes, this was very confusing. I'd read nowhere about 1pwdX (if you emailed me I must have missed it) and one day something just popped up telling me to install it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@slobizman

And yes, this was very confusing.

Our apologies. Confusing users is obviously the opposite of what our goals are.

I'd read nowhere about 1pwdX (if you emailed me I must have missed it) and one day something just popped up telling me to install it.

I'd be very interested to know (if you can remember) what "popped up" - was it from within 1Password for Mac? Your browser? An email or other communication from us? As far as I'm aware, we haven't "popped up" anything of the kind, though I may be forgetting something. As I mentioned in another thread here just this morning, there's a significant amount of information around from us (not to mention the tech press) regarding 1Password X, since its debut in late 2017. I'm sorry it took you by surprise, and I'd be interested to hear what other ways you think we could've informed you that would've prevented this? To be clear, we do not email people just to inform them of new updates or new features, since we respect your privacy too much to do that and a substantial majority of our users would consider such "announcements" mere marketing spam anyway. We also don't do it because we don't have anything resembling a comprehensive list of our user-base. We have the list for our newsletter - which is opt-in - but that's a small fraction of the people who actually use 1Password...and even they signed up with the expectation that newsletters would be infrequent and comprehensive.

If you're not interested in running beta versions of both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password X, then your only real remaining choice is whether to use the traditional ("desktop app required") extension, or 1Password X. Either one will work - just in slightly different ways, at least for now - so it's a matter of use-case and preference. Hope that helps! :)

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member

I'd be very interested to know (if you can remember) what "popped up" - was it from within 1Password for Mac? Your browser? An email or other communication from us? As far as I'm aware, we haven't "popped up" anything of the kind, though I may be forgetting something.

I wish I could remember. Maybe it was a time when my 1pwd extension stopped working again, and I went into Chrome Extensions to reinstall it and picked X over 7. That sounds possible.

there's a significant amount of information around from us (not to mention the tech press) regarding 1Password X, since its debut in late 2017. I'm sorry it took you by surprise, and I'd be interested to hear what other ways you think we could've informed you that would've prevented this? To be clear, we do not email people just to inform them of new updates or new features, since we respect your privacy too much to do that and a substantial majority of our users would consider such "announcements" mere marketing spam anyway.

I see that I am not subscribed to your newsletter. That would have helped, so I just subscribed. And I just put your blog's feed into my RSS reader.

I appreciate your efforts to respect our inbox. While I would not mind having emails sent to me about important announcements, I understand how you don't feel comfortable doing this without an opt-in. So, the onus really is on me, and I'll be more dilligent in the future.

If you're not interested in running beta versions of both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password X, then your only real remaining choice is whether to use the traditional ("desktop app required") extension, or 1Password X. Either one will work - just in slightly different ways, at least for now - so it's a matter of use-case and preference.

I don't normally mind running betas, but with something as important passwords I get nervous. So I will read up on 1pwd X and continue to use it.

Hope that helps!

Yes, you've certainly helped me and I appreciate it, and the great support you guys always provide.

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member

Just found an issue with X. You can see it in the screenshot. I clicked on the 1pwd icon in the login fields and it was nonresponsive. Or at least I thought it was. But when I scrolled down the page a bit I saw that the 1pwd popup was actually there, just down below the bottom of my screen so I could not see it. And this happened right after a reboot of Brave.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@slobizman

Maybe it was a time when my 1pwd extension stopped working again, and I went into Chrome Extensions to reinstall it and picked X over 7.

That sounds more like a possibility than a pop-up from us. To be clear, if you visit the Chrome Web Store and search for 1Password, you'll get three options, two of which are 1Password X (the regular and beta editions), and only one option for our usual "desktop app required" extension, so it's possible to get confused there. Our own website works hard to segregate the two, so at least users are confronted with the realization that there is a difference (and hopefully ask follow-up questions if there's any remaining confusion).

I appreciate your efforts to respect our inbox. While I would not mind having emails sent to me about important announcements...

Thanks. Honestly? From my perspective, it'd be great if everyone felt a certain way ;) - then we could just do that thing (deluge of email? None at all?)...but of course, in reality there are a ton of perspectives on what people would like in the way of communication, which means we can't satisfy everyone. As a result, we tend to err on the side of caution and respect for privacy. It's among the things we monitor on an ongoing basis to make sure we're getting it as right as we can, though. :)

Thanks for the heads-up on the GoDaddy page. Can I ask: were you able to replicate this behavior? In other words, if you quit Brave, re-open it and visit that page again, does the same behavior present itself?

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member

Thanks. Honestly?

Yes.

Thanks for the heads-up on the GoDaddy page. Can I ask: were you able to replicate this behavior?

Yes. I did narrow it down a bit. If that popup with the login fields is high up on my screen and starts to go off screen at the top, even slightly, it does it; if it is fully in the center of my screen, it does not. So, I can certainly work around it, it's no big deal.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@slobizman - it does depend somewhat on the placement of things on your screen - we can't (or at least shouldn't) be rendering things where you can't see them, so if you're scrolled to the very edge (or past it), we're not going to pop-up outside of where you can move the mouse to (or see). Nevertheless, that should be a little tighter than it is. I'll mention it to our development team. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

This discussion has been closed.