Firefox opening in wrong window

This discussion was created from comments split from: Firefox private browsing & 1Password 7 mini.

Comments

• itsthejazzkid
    itsthejazzkid
    Community Member

I think I'm seeing this issue as well, on the latest desktop + Firefox add-on.

In Chrome, there's no issue launching from either the menubar icon or the extension icon in regular or incognito windows (though launching inside of an incognito window is a hair slower sometimes).

Performance and behavior in a regular Firefox window is equivalent to within Chrome.

In Firefox private windows, launching using the extension icon takes a full 3 seconds, and launching using the menubar icon or the Cmd+Alt+\ shortcut always fails.

Interestingly, the shortcut combo works when the About Firefox window is open and has focus.

But here's the kicker:
    When the About Firefox window is open and you ask 1Password to open+fill, the open+fill automation is applied to whichever window previously had focus, including private-browsing windows.

Put another way: I can only use 1Password in a private Firefox window when the About Firefox window is open and has focus, and the desired private window is the window that most recently had focus.

Are there any logs or anything I can pull to shed light on what's going on here?

1Password for Mac 7.3
    Firefox add-on 4.7.4.90
    Firefox Quantum 67.0.3
    macOS 10.14.5

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@itsthejazzkid: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm splitting you off into a new discussion because this is an old one about an beta issue long-since resolved, and what you're reporting is also completely different.

Can you clarify something for me?

can only use 1Password in a private Firefox window when the About Firefox window is open and has focus, and the desired private window is the window that most recently had focus.

What do you mean by "use"? What are the specific actions you're taking there? That may help narrow things down. Thanks in advance! :)

• itsthejazzkid
    itsthejazzkid
    Community Member

You bet.

How I should have said that is that I'm prevented from using certain 1Password features when a private Firefox window has focus. Those features are:
    - opening up the mini interface (not sure what you guys actually call this)
    - executing browser auto-filling

I've tried clicking 1Password icons/buttons in the UI, or using the keyboard shortcut, when a private Firefox window has focus, and those features seem to be unreachable.

Is that helpful? Can also record and put up a video.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@itsthejazzkid: Thanks for getting back to me! Do you maybe mean you're trying to use 1Password in Firefox in a tab/window with no URL? 1Password tries to get the current URL from the browser to show you suggestions in mini. If you're on a webpage -- any webpage -- it should work, and it seems to here. A video might help, but really I just need to know the steps to reproduce so we're talking about the same thing. A video won't necessarily give me that information.

• itsthejazzkid
    itsthejazzkid
    Community Member

Ah, you're right. My issue is in a default blank tab (about:privatebrowsing). That didn't even occur to me! It works as expected in a private Firefox window with a URL loaded. Interestingly, and I'm not sure why, it also works when an add-on takes over the New Tab page (I just re-activated the Toby extension, for bookmarks) even if the tab has no URL.

All this said, I don't need any tab or window with a URL open for this to work in Chrome, incognito or otherwise. Is this a known issue?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@itsthejazzkid: As far as I know, that's just how Firefox works -- just one of many of any number of differences to Chrome: they're completely different pieces of software, each with their own quirks. I know we've tried to work around it in the past. Perhaps it will be possible to in the future.

Firefox tends to be more restrictive in "private" mode in general. It's unrelated to this particular limitation, but another discussion referenced in the previous thread is a good example of that.

Anyway, we'll see if there's something we can do in the future. :)

• itsthejazzkid
    itsthejazzkid
    Community Member

Gotcha. Thanks for diving into that one with me!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now than "Don't use it on an empty tab", but we'll see if we can come up with something else. :)

This discussion has been closed.