Edge Chromium Extension

sniem
sniem
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi, what's the plan for the 1Password extension to be added to the Chromium based Edge browser https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/04/08/microsoft-edge-preview-builds-the-next-step-in-our-oss-journey/ which is being developed now?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10x64 Pro 1901
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ToddD
    ToddD
    Community Member

I tried loading the chrome extention from the chrome apps store and it does not work. Hope devs can help.

• Hey, @sniem and @ToddD! For the moment, 1Password X stable should work with the preview version of Edge. This requires a 1Password membership and works independently of the 1Password 7 desktop app. This is, of course, the very first preview build of the new Edge, so I'm sure we'll have more to share as it makes its way closer to stable. Stay tuned. :chuffed:

• ToddD
    ToddD
    Community Member

Thank You very much!!! That does work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to seeing how the new browser turns out. :) :+1:

• tomwarren
    tomwarren
    Community Member

Any ETA on when this will be available in the beta app?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Extensions can't be part of the app. They're necessarily a separate install. As Kate mentioned above,

1Password X stable should work with the preview version of Edge. This requires a 1Password membership and works independently of the 1Password 7 desktop app. [...] we'll have more to share as it makes its way closer to stable.

• Hi @tomwarren,

It is available now in the 7.3.684 beta update.

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

Installed, it works :) - proofed with this posting ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That was fast! Thanks for trying the new beta and letting us know. :)

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

LOL, well, yes, that was fast - manually checking for updates is one of the first things in the morning ;) - you never know if there is a bug with automatic updates ;).

• :+1: Especially since we've been quiet lately. There are a lot of updater-related improvements coming in the upcoming 7.4 beta builds.

• WinPass
    WinPass
    Community Member

I've been using 1Password X in Edge Chromium but would love to switch to the desktop app and extension experience instead. Since the beta version of 1Password allows Edgium to work are there any risks with using the beta desktop app over the normal one aside from occasional crashes etc? My fear is data corruption / login loss or even worse something with encryption leaking something locally on my device. Never used your beta before so just curious :)

• WinPass
    WinPass
    Community Member

Well I just noticed that production build 7.3.684 now supports the 1Password Desktop extension so I don't need to use the beta channel :) Awesome!

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

I cannot speak for the future but I haven’t experienced any data loss or corruption with 1P Betas on any platform (Edge, Chrome, Firefox Beta/x64, iPhone, iPad, PC, some with Beta OS, too).

• WinPass
    WinPass
    Community Member

@sniem thanks for the note. I usually love participating in beta/previews of software but my password manager is always one I think three times about lol :)

• Glad you found that Edgium made it to stable @WinPass! That particular beta was a pretty small one – not a ton of changes – so its trip from beta to stable was pretty quick. We work really hard to ensure even our beta builds are as stable as possible, but the internal testing we do is no substitute for the countless hours of real use our beta testers put new versions through. We're eternally grateful to anyone will to take on that task, but of course, we want you to be comfortable with that too. What you store in 1Password is important and it's totally ok to be paranoid about it. I try to be paranoid with y'all's data too, so you have my full support. :chuffed:

• WinPass
    WinPass
    Community Member

@bundtkate thanks for the understanding! And more importantly thank you for being paranoid with all of our data 8-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Absolutely! And hey, with our data too. :) :+1:

• jjkotarski
    jjkotarski
    Community Member

Sorry I'm late to this discussion since the Mac Edge Canary/Dev releases are relatively new. So do I understand from bundtkate's post above that the Chrome extension only works with Edge with the 1Password subscription product, not the standalone desktop app?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jjkotarski - if you're referring to the just-released Mac Edge Canary release, then yes: only 1Password X will work with it, and only in the beta version. This is likely to be the case for a while yet, since the current Canary release of Microsoft Edge for Mac needs more development before we can consider rolling it out to the stable channel.

• jjkotarski
    jjkotarski
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Thank you for the information -- it's OK, I'm mostly using Brave now and the extension is working very well there! I've just been testing Edge for Mac and wanted to be sure I understood what works and what does not work.

• Hi @jjkotarski,

Just to be clear, this thread is for the Windows version of 1Password, we've added official support for Edge preview builds on Windows last month for the regular 1Password extension. 1Password X will work out of the box for both macOS and Windows, it does not require the desktop versions of 1Password to be updated to support the new browsers.

Microsoft only just released the first official preview for macOS yesterday, so we'll need to look at it before we can add support for it in a future update on macOS.

• jjkotarski
    jjkotarski
    Community Member

Oops, didn't mean to hijack this Windows extension conversation! My apologies.

• Not to worry, @jjkotarski. Most Edge search results would naturally turn up in the Windows category, so it's understandable you'd end up here. We certainly don't mind and just want to make sure you don't end up mislead by anything we said here earlier. With macOS just now joining the Edge party and things still evolving across platforms, it's important we're clear about what's supported where (for now). :chuffed:

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

What extension I should use and how to install it for below?

Thanks, Abhijit

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Abhijit: On Windows, you'll need the 1Password desktop extension for Chrome with the beta of 1Password for Windows, or just 1Password X. Cheers! :)

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Perfect! Installed the Extension.

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome! Enjoy! :chuffed: :+1:

• mike-e
    mike-e
    Community Member

I just started testing the new Microsoft Edge Beta and I'm beyond thrilled that 1Password extension works with it!!
    Thank you very much! Keep up the good work.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

Me too.

This discussion has been closed.