Rename "+ New Password" / Easier access to favorites

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: password generator in 7.3.

Comments

• mbernhardt
    mbernhardt
    Community Member
    Options

As another long-time user, I just want to chime in. I've been using 1Password for many years, I think since version 4 on Mac and 3 on Windows. Over time the interface and features have changed a lot, nearly for the better. Sometimes I have to look up how to do stuff, which is annoying. Sometimes the interface changes for reasons that seem purely cosmetic, and that's annoying. Change is always an annoyance. Having to learn Windows 10 after years of 7, or Word 2010 after Word 2003: THOSE were much bigger annoyances.

I appreciated Goldberg's extremely detailed explanation of why the password generator has changed, and the math behind it, and I'm perfectly willing to accept that. I have had far more cases on web sites where symbols were not accepted, rather than required and not present. In either case, I paste the password into a text editor and edit as needed, then save in both the web site and manually in 1Password.

It appears that the generator only changed in mini, not the main app, but I think it used to be available in the sidebar of the main app? Now it's only on a password field (or maybe it was in the sidebar in mini only). So putting it into the sidebar in the main app would solve some complaints of easy access. Those who need/want "control" can use the generator in the main app. Those who insist it should be in the mini will eventually insist that every other feature in the main app should be there too.

Definitely rename +New Password button and also make it more obvious, which is confusing as others have stated. The only reason I found this thread is because I couldn't figure out how to open the password generator today.

Another change that would both eliminate some confusion about how 1Password works and at the same time make all of the throwaway password users happy: Add a checkbox to save the password or not. Default is checked each time you open it. Add text under it that says "Your password will automatically be saved until a login is created or updated." If the box is unchecked, the text changes to "This password will not be saved if you don't copy and use it within xx minutes [whatever that number is]." Perhaps another checkbox in preferences to change this to unchecked if enough people want it.

Totally off-topic is that I liked it when my Favorites were a single click away. Now getting to my favorites takes doing things that the concept of Favorites is supposed to eliminate the need for. You don't have to respond to that one here except to point me to a useful discussion about redoing this.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mbernhardt

I hope you don't mind: the previous thread was getting a bit unwieldy so I split your comment off into a new one. This way we can give your feedback the attention it deserves.

Change is always an annoyance.

I can certainly understand that perspective. Having to constantly re-learn how to use the tools you use can certainly be frustrating. That said to some extent that's the nature of the beast. For software companies to stay in business we need to have a recurring stream of revenue, and in order to have that we have to regularly change the offering, add new features, and stay on top of the changes that happen around us. I don't say that to make an excuse, only to point out that is the world we live in until someone invents a better business model for software. As you point out this certainly isn't a unique situation with 1Password. It is ubiquitous across the software industry.

Those who need/want "control" can use the generator in the main app.

I wouldn't suggest relying on that. There is a good chance that we'll roll out changes to the password generator more broadly as we continue to move forward. I think it would be better to focus on how we can best address the difficulties people are experiencing without simply falling back on old crutches. We've had a fair number of people come here to demand those old crutches back, but very few willing to take the time to help us understand what specific problems they were helping them work around so that we can build better solutions. It reminds me a bit of this xkcd comic:

Definitely rename +New Password button and also make it more obvious, which is confusing as others have stated.

This is something we're taking a very close look at. We were actually just discussing that possibility on a call earlier this afternoon. Without making any specific promises I do think there is a good chance we'll see a different labeling for that button rolled out.

Another change that would both eliminate some confusion about how 1Password works and at the same time make all of the throwaway password users happy

That's really just not something we're going to do. Sorry. I'd much rather talk to 100 customers upset because we're saving generated passwords than 1 who got locked out of an account because we didn't. I feel strongly that adding such a preference would be irresponsible of us. We rarely say "no," but I think this is a case where it is appropriate.

Totally off-topic is that I liked it when my Favorites were a single click away. Now getting to my favorites takes doing things that the concept of Favorites is supposed to eliminate the need for. You don't have to respond to that one here except to point me to a useful discussion about redoing this.

We're closely looking at some changes in this area as well so please keep an eye on the release notes for that.

Ben

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I'd much rather talk to 100 customers upset because we're saving generated passwords than 1 who got locked out of an account because we didn't. I feel strongly that adding such a preference would be irresponsible of us. We rarely say "no," but I think this is a case where it is appropriate.

Let me register my approval of the application saving all generated passwords with a recent example. I needed to create a login for a mobile banking application. In their infinite wisdom, the bank prevents a user from pasting in a password, making more than a little difficult to use a long and truly random password. The random password created by 1Password has to be typed into the form to create the new account. Then of course, it has to be typed in a second time to confirm it. Since this is a mobile app, that also means typing on an iPhone keyboard. Getting both instances of the manually typed in and agreeing took me a couple of tries. This process would have been even worse if the password generator hadn't saved its work in the Password category. This not the only time when I've needed to review a password before it was converted to a Login.

Separately, why do web sites insist that manually typing a password should be required in the first place. Some even preclude pasting in a password when logging in to an established account, practically guaranteeing that the user will elect a less secure password. (I realize that using the word generator helps in these instances.)

• Ben
    Options

Hey @hawkmoth :)

Separately, why do web sites insist that manually typing a password should be required in the first place.

That is a great question. We wrote about it here:

An open letter to banks

This not the only time when I've needed to review a password before it was converted to a Login.

I'm glad to hear this has proven to be helpful. :)

Ben

• imt
    imt
    Community Member
    Options

I agree too that it is important to save all generated passwords.

I agree on the favorites.

I agree that

As I stated in another post I also think it is important to have the "password history" button for a login appear when you scroll down in the mini. I have had myself jump the gun a couple times on saving the new password but had an issue and thus needed the old to to save a new password and have to do multiple clicks in the mini to get it.

Not sure if this is also the issues for others on why they say not to save passwords, but I find that the mini list gets cluttered with the list also viewing the generated passwords that have been saved. This is where the previous mini was better in that only the Logins showed for a site and then the categories showed below so you could open the "passwords" category. Although, I think I went to the main program for this since I believe the old mini didn't sort in reverse date order (Newest to Oldest) on the password category.

I also agree that the "+ New Password" button needs to change its name. Now that I know what it does its fine but I was very skittish about clicking on it initially and was confused about where to find the generator. I was also confused about the dropdown as well and how to find all the categories. That too is not clear.

Not sure how I feel about the generated password not auto filling though. Or having the option to click auto fill. I understand reasoning, like if you were doing a security question and don't want it to override the password field in error, etc. But, maybe its just because auto fill after generation is something we have become accustomed to over the years and choosing the "copy" route on those times that we didn't want to paste, like multiple security questions. so, maybe its learning a new process for the better but I would appreciate a better understanding of "why" certain changes were made in functionality. I think that would go a long way.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@imt - we will likely be changing the + New Password button's name. No promises, but that's quite possible in an upcoming update. The same may be true of filling a generated password (and same caveats). For the rest, it's certainly helpful for us to hear the feedback especially with specific use-cases, but I don't have anything to announce in regard to a View Password History button for the mini. Thanks for the suggestions, though! :)

• imt
    imt
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars

There is a view password history button in the mini. The issue is its not avail when you scroll down the screen. You either have to:
    1) Click the "Pin" button to be able to view the "Saved Form Fields" and "Password History Buttons" if data avail.
    2) Click edit, but then you only get at the most the "Saved Form Fields" button and then have to click "cancel" and then you are presented with both.

So... a little buggy, I commented about this in another post.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@imt

There is a view password history button in the mini.

Right.

You either have to:
    1. Click the "Pin" button to be able to view the "Saved Form Fields" and "Password History Buttons" if data avail.
    2. Click edit, but then you only get at the most the "Saved Form Fields" button and then have to click "cancel" and then you are presented with both.

This was what I was referring to. Sorry it wasn't more clear. I thought you were looking for such a button in the non-popped-out, non-edit mode view.

• imt
    imt
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars

Ideally it would be avail in the non-edit or non-pinned mode. Since you are not "editing". But, at a min, when you press "edit" the functionality should be the same as when you click "pin on screen" and both buttons "View saved form details" and "Password History" buttons should be shown, assuming there is password history. Should not have to click cancel then to get the button visible. That is a bug IMHO.

A big reason to have the "password history" button at least visible in the non-popped out or non-edit mode is if you accidentally submitted a login to "replace existing" at the popup and then discover that the login did not take due to not meeting password requirements or some other reason. Then you can quickly retrieve the previous saved password from the visible login. I have jumped the gun numerous times over my history with 1Password.

• Ben
    Options

Understood. Thanks for the feedback on this @imt. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.