On both Mac and Win 10, how do I create a local snapshot of my online vault?

Options
mick_standalone
mick_standalone
Community Member

Sorry, but I cannot find a definitive answer in the forums. I am using 1Password 7 on Mac/Win/iOS.

Today I switched from standalone (with Dropbox sync) to an online subscription. Sure, everything works well, but I MUST have the ability to open a local copy of the vault when offline (like commuting in a plane, etc).

I understand that a local snapshot is automatically stored somewhere on disk, a day (?) after changes are made (other than the cache file). In which case, where exactly are the backups stored on both macOS and Windows 10, please?

More generally, how on earth do other customers manage to use 1Password when they are completely offline? It seems to me that this is a huge failing of the subscription model!

Please advise so that I may switch back to standalone, if necessary. Thanks and regards, M.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.5 & Win 10 1903
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mick_standalone - no worries ever about asking questions here; that's literally what this forum is for. :)

I MUST have the ability to open a local copy of the vault when offline (like commuting in a plane, etc).

Not sure what the problem is? Every 1Password application (on any platform) in which the user is signed into a 1password.com account contains a local cache of the data. It's located at:

/Users/aglars/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/B5.sqlite

Only, it's not just a "cache" or a backup; that's the actual data file that 1Password for Mac (in this case) opens when you unlock it using your Master Password. When you first unlock, 1Password will attempt to perform a sync of the local data cache with the server version. If it can't because you're on a plane without wi-fi or you're hiking McMurdo Sound and thus slightly out of wireless coverage area, the local copy will continue to function as it would normally, with the exception that any changes you make to 1Password (including additions or deletions of items) won't be reflected on the server copy until the next time you're online with 1Password open and unlocked.

To be clear, this isn't any different than what takes place if you use Dropbox (broadly speaking, there's a great deal of difference in the details): you work on the local SQLite database in the 1Password app on your device. IF it can sync (whether with Dropbox or 1password.com), the server will be updated. If it can't, it waits until the next time that it can...which then allows other devices connected to the same 1Password account (or sync keychain in Dropbox) to sync from the updated server version. The only thing you "lose" by being temporarily offline would be the immediate updating of the server's copy of the data...which doesn't matter because - if you are offline - you can't view what's on the server anyway, whether in the app or in a browser.

Hope this helps! :)

• mick_standalone
    mick_standalone
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

Thanks for that - my bad for not testing more by turning off my wi-fi! In fact I did a trial disconnect at one point, but it happens that the app was attempting to sync a trash-empty at the time (it sort of hung up, but that is understandable).

The behaviour of 1Password when offline is then, per your description, perfect. I am so relieved; I keep some important finance and medical data in there because the app is so good, so offline access is important.

Forgive me if I've missed this info in the docs/FAQs, but if not it would be great to have this behaviour (ie. it's OK to go offline, etc) made really clear in the docs for those opting for the online subscription.

Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated. M.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mick_standalone - thanks for the kind words about 1Password. :) One thing you will want to do if you have a 1password.com account is make sure you download any documents you've uploaded, so you can have offline access to them. 1Password isn't a digital document-storage service, it's essentially an encrypted, custom database application with limited file storage capacity. You can download each Document by choosing the Documents category in the sidebar of 1Password for Mac, then selecting each Document item in turn and clicking to download. You only need to do this once in 1Password for Mac (though there's no persistent document storage in 1Password for iOS, so if you are traveling with only an iOS device, you'd need to make sure to do this every time you expect to be "out of range" and also need access to Documents).

• mick_standalone
    mick_standalone
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, thank you for that extra info, especially about the iOS version. Fortunately most of my data are in the form of secure notes, rather than attached docs. I will however check right now.

Cheers!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.