It doesn't offer to convert a password to a login item on some cases

Hi,

This is an example website I tried the steps below: https://talk.automators.fm website.

On sign up page I filled in my Identifaction data, and then generated a password. The password is also filled in and saved to 1Password. After I submit the form, 1Password didn't offer me to convert to login.

Each time I have to manually convert a password item to a login item by 'manually' typing my username/email.

I hope it will be improved in future.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

Btw, autocompleting pre-used usernames after converting the password to login item when filling username field in for this case could be useful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Just to clarify, Password items never contain a username -- they are saved automatically when a generated password is used -- so there's no way for one to appear automatically when you click "convert to login"; you'll need to add it yourself. That's expected.

So it sounds like the issue is that 1Password wasn't able detect a login form submission to offer to save username and password for you. I'm not having trouble with that there though: when I fill and submit the login form -- whether using the Return key or clicking the button with the mouse, 1Password offers to save. If you'll let me know the exact steps you're taking and the versions you're using -- OS, 1Password, browser, and extension, which you left out of your posts -- I'll see if I can reproduce it.

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

@brenty but did you first fill in your 'identity'?

The extension is 4.7.4.90
    The app is 7.3
    Browser is Chrome

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@koraykupe: I don't understand what an Identity has to do with filling a login form. Did you mean "login"?

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

@brenty I mean sign up page, not sign in as seen on my first post.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@koraykupe: Thanks for clarifying! Identity filling is a red herring. 1Password offers to save a Login wether I fill an Identity first or not -- provided I use the keyboard to submit that form. So I'm guessing you're clicking "Create New Account" with the mouse. 1Password doesn't see any of the fields at the top -- like username/password -- when you interact with that because "Create New Account / Log In" at the bottom is a completely separate form. We'll see if we can work around something like that in the future...but having 1Password act on one form when you're interacting with another is generally a Bad Thing (e.g. websites with "sign in", "sign up", and "search" or other forms all on the same page).

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Indeed the form is odd, I thought that there is a problem with saving a login item if you fill in your identity first and then generate a password. Because I had this issue before. Maybe it's fixed recently. I'll check it on other websites too. Thanks @brenty

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.