Web view of account has fewer items than 1Password for Mac

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Cloud backup?.

Comments

• TheCastle
    TheCastle
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there, I think I might missing something. I usually log in to 1Password via the app on my Mac/the browser extension and rarely use the web portal. I'm looking over my DR process (after a near-miss this week) and now looking at the web portal my logins seem to have not been backed up since I first subscribed. Also there are only 60 items on the website but I have over 100 locally on my computer.
    What am I missing?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @TheCastle! I'm sorry for the trouble. I've split your comment off into its own thread, since it didn't really pertain to the existing discussion in the thread you originally posted it into; hope that's OK.

If you've got a significant difference it item count between the web view of your 1password.com account and what you can see within your local 1Password for Mac app, there could be a few reasons for that:

1. Check to make sure in both cases, you're viewing All Vaults and All Items. If you're viewing only one vault, or you've got a subset of items (such as only Logins or only Passwords) selected, item counts will obviously vary.
    2. You have more than one 1Password account, and you're signed into one in 1Password for Mac and a different one in your browser
    3. You still have standalone data in 1Password for Mac. To check this, click Preferences > Vaults in 1Password for Mac and compare it to the home page of your 1password.com account in your browser: how many vaults do you see, and what are their names? Do you see a vault in 1Password for Mac called "Primary?" If so, then you still have (at least) one standalone vault.

Let me know what you discover.

• TheCastle
    TheCastle
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars, thanks for getting back to me. Just looking at this now: On the left sidebar I have Private and Shared vaults under ChrystelCastle and Primary is under On My Mac. So it looks like the Primary vault is not backed up to the cloud, how do I fix that?

• Ben
    Options

@TheCastle

The Primary vault should be deleted. Please either move the items in it to one of the other existing vaults or create a new vault within your membership to hold the contents of Primary. You can learn about how to move the items here:

Move and copy items

Once everything is in a membership vault please log in at https://my.1password.com/ to verify that you know the correct Master Password for your membership account. Currently you're unlocking 1Password with the password of the Primary vault. That will change once you remove it and you'll use the account password instead.

Finally once you've verified you know the right password please delete the Primary vault. This should be done on every device that has that vault. Instructions for that can be found here: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices (you can skip step #1 on devices you have already signed into your account on).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• TheCastle
    TheCastle
    Community Member
    Options

So I've created a new vault called New Primary and copied all the items from Primary to it. The New Primary vault is visible when I log in too 1password.com, with all items present. The password I use to log in to 1password.com is the same as the password for the app on my computer. Is it still safe to delete the local vault?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TheCastle - if you can see all the data when you sign into your account in a browser, then yes, it's fine to delete Primary. :)

• TheCastle
    TheCastle
    Community Member
    Options

Done. The vault that was on my computer is deleted and everything is still working correctly. I created a dummy login on the 1Password app and it immediately updated the New Primary vault I created online. One last thing I wanted to check - is there still a local back up of my vault stored on my computer? Is there a way to create one?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password memberships automatically backup your encrypted data offsite in your account, because, well...if something happens to your device, things probably don't look good for local backups either. That way, even if it's lost, stolen, or destroyed, you just need to sign in to get your data back. But you'll have a local cache of data in 1Password's support folder which will be included in any full disk backup you do manually. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.