auto update on and every time there is an update to 1Password it fails.

phantom_fa
phantom_fa
Community Member

Every time there is an update, it fails with a message that 1Password cannot be open during update and provides an option to select 'Continue' to close the app and complete the update.
Selecting 'Continue' does NOT close the app and the installation does not complete.
The only option is to select 'Cancel' and then restart App Store, completely quit 1Password from the menu and then do the update again manually.
This happens on High Sierra, Mojave, Mojave beta6 and still happens on the first public beta of Catalina. It happens on three iMacs, a mini, and a MacBook Pro. Am I the only person who has this problem?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.1 (70301007) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.5, 10.14.6Beta, 10.15Beta, 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:Updates don't quit 1Password even when selecting 'Continue' option in pop-up

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @phantom_fa! Welcome to the forum!

The only option is to select 'Cancel' and then restart App Store, completely quit 1Password from the menu and then do the update again manually.

It should be enough to just quit 1Password completely from the menu bar when this happens, without having to restart the App Store as well. Do you have to restart the App Store too on every one of your devices?

• phantom_fa
    phantom_fa
    Community Member

I don't have to restart the App Store every time, generally just when I select 'Continue' rather than 'Cancel'.
    Is there any reason why 1Password doesn't behave like other apps on update. If other apps are open when an update runs, if I select 'Continue' then the app closes and the update continues. iPassword is the only app where 'Continue' doesn't work.
    Can't you fix this?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@phantom_fa: our developers are aware of this, but thank you for reporting the issue! We really appreciate it :)

In the meantime, I see that you wrote that you are using 1Password.com as your sync method. In this case, you can also use the 1Password app downloaded from our website, instead than from the Mac App Store: that version of the app will update automatically without requiring you to quit it first ;)

ref: apple-1604

• phantom_fa
    phantom_fa
    Community Member

Thanks. Have just installed the Agile app on Catalina and it successfully quit the App Store version and replaced it with the 1Password Store version without a problem. Does the 1Password store version have the same usage rights as the App Store version - ie I can use it on all my Macs, iPad, iPhone?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@phantom_fa: Glad to hear that did the trick. :)

If you have a 1Password membership, all the apps and updates are included in that. If you purchased a license for a specific version of 1Password, you're entitled to use that on all your compatible devices; but 1Password for Mac will not run on iOS and vice versa, so those are separate purchases from each other in that case. Cheers!

• phantom_fa
    phantom_fa
    Community Member

So just to be clear, my annual subscription covers all platforms - correct?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@phantom_fa

Yes, this is correct. :) With a 1Password membership, you can access all your passwords and other items from any of your devices. The apps for Mac, iOS, Windows, and Android are all included in your subscription.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.