why are you asking for my administrator name and password?

billtreible
billtreible
Community Member

the update window is asking

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3 (70300020) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Mac OS Mojavi 10.14.5
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:why are you asking for my administrator name and password?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @billtreible! Because you need administrator privileges to modify /Applications.

• billtreible
    billtreible
    Community Member

Never had to do this before and I'm certainly not giving you or anyone else such sensitive info. Next you'll be asking for the key to my house!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@billtreible - that's certainly your prerogative, but if you choose not to enter an administrator name/password, you'll be unable to update 1Password for Mac.

But to try to reassure you, we (1Password) don't (ever) receive your Mac admin uesrname/password. You're being shown this prompt by the installer process and macOS, not by 1Password. When you enter it, even Apple do not receive this information, it stays local on your own Mac. It's used to prove that you are authorized to install this application (as opposed to someone who might've gained unauthorized access to your Mac), and to make sure you intend to do install it. It's not transmitted to anyone, not us, and not Apple. Hope that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.