1Password X "Reveal Password" feature hides part of the password.

Passwords over 21 characters are not fully revealed by the "Reveal" button.
As this screen grab shows, only the first 20 characters are clearly shown.

Characters after the first 20 or 21 are lost due to these UI bugs:
(a) The often pointless fading-out effect, intended to show "there's more password than you can see", but which is pointless, if you are graying-out the LAST character of a 22-character password. And
(b) The oversized "Copy" button. And
(c) The the excessive blank border to the left of the "Copy" button.
(d) The lack of any easy affordance for showing a long password. For example:
For passwords too long for the default box, you could pop-over a complete dialog. Or temporarily resize the border between the nav pane and the detail pane, restoring it after the next click or keystroke.

ENVIRONMENT: 1Password X on Win 7 Pro SP1 generic. Chrome Browser, with no other active extensions. System's type size is the default 100%. Computer is a Toshiba Portege R705-P35. Browser is running full screen.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.15.3
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro SP1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @Netpog.

I'm not a 1Pass team member so can't really say for sure, but I think that is the way it is designed to be. I imagine it may be inconvenient for you but for the majority of 1Pass users, it works perfectly fine. First, because not many users need to see the whole password. They just copy and paste it where they need it OR they just use the Go option above (to fill the password on the website). If you really need to see the whole thing, you could click the arrow > Large.

Hopefully, I cleared out some of your doubts... If not, you can go ahead and reply back and there will be someone happy to help!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Netpog! I'd have to agree with @arturoaubry in that this works very well for the majority of 1Password X users. I can't say I've run into it personally because revealing passwords isn't something I do very often at all. On the rare care I'm unable to fill and need to grab a password from the popup, I copy or drag it without ever looking at the password. That being said, it's nice you pointed this out because I do like to see how others use 1Password differently than myself.

You've got a couple of options to view your entire password. The first is clicking off of the arrow button (like the one in your screenshot). Your password will remain revealed, but the copy button will no longer be visible. In the example I used, I had a 30 character password that was completely visible inside the popup.

If you'd rather not click at all, you can also use the keyboard shortcut control-alt with the popup open to reveal the password in item details.

The next option would be viewing your password in large print by clicking the arrow button next to your password, then selecting Large. Here's an example of how that would look:

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions!

• mcpope
    mcpope
    Community Member

Just tossing in my two-cents worth here.... I often will use 5-8 random word passwords for instances where I cannot copy and paste (logging in to a Virtual Machine when the clipboard is disabled between the host and the vm). 42 random characters is just no feasible in those instances, but 5-8 random words is doable. When half the words are hidden (even in large text), this becomes a challenge.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mcpope: Absolutely. But did you try the Large Type feature? Especially if you need to actually see a password, that's really useful. :)

• mcpope
    mcpope
    Community Member

Large type only works when your password is short enough to fit on the screen, as I don’t recall ever seeing Large Type come with a scroll bar.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@mcpope – I just gave it a try with an 8 word random password since that was the highest you said you used, and here's what I got:

I'd say it looks pretty good, and I'm able to view every single character. Now I'm wondering what you were using where only half of the words were visible in large type. I checked the older design of the 1Password X popup, and I got the same results there as well. Just out of curiosity, I tested it with a 10 word random password, and I was able to see every word when viewing in large type. Based on my tests, it looks like the Large Type feature in 1Password X will work well for your situation. If you're seeing different results, please do let me know!

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

@Kaitlyn, I'm baffled by your response. I cannot reproduce what I see in your screen grab. When I click that arrow, I am NOT rewarded by the "copy" button getting out of my way. Instead, the "large" and "conceal" buttons re-appear, so that I see less of the password, not more. There's always either a button with a right-arrow, or three buttons with a left-arrow

And "control-alt" does nothing. Maybe you meant "control-alt-[some key]"?

The "large" button is a workaround, but an awkward one: it's awfully large. Also, while I do see a scroll bar, in most cases that's only because the window is sized un-necessarily small. (About a half-inch too short for the 3rd row to be visible. Screen clip is below.)

BTW, here's a closely-related minor bug, visible in the screengrab in my OP: 1Password fades out the last character or two of a long password, to show that it's not all visible. That's great. But in my screen grab it has faded out the last character, unnecessarily. It looks the same, in that image, as it does if there are another ten characters.

(Note that I'm having no problem when I open 1Password in a browser tab. This is the pop-up visible via left-clicking the browser extension icon, and in the pop-up window.)

(I'm using 1Password X v. 1.15.6 on Chrome, Windows 7. The Windows text size is "standard", and the Chrome text size setting is apparently ignored by 1Password.)

I don't often have to reveal passwords, but it happens. Usually after I've accidentally over-written a password, which 1Password facilitates in a couple ways, but that's entirely off-topic.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

@Netpog: While you should be able to scroll (I see the bar there), you appear to have Chrome zoomed fairly considerably. If you press Ctrl 0 (zero; ⌘ 0 on a Mac), does that help?

Ctrl Alt is the hotkey to reveal hidden passwords in the detail view. I'm not sure why that wouldn't work on your machine, but maybe you're in some other view. The "Copy" button should be shown when you're having the cursor over the field though.

• chrisss
    chrisss
    Community Member

@brenty why does it say it says Alt in your docs :dizzy: got bit by this, least now I know shortcut works. Is there a complete list of shortcuts for 1password X Beta posted?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry about that, @chrisss! We do have a full list of 1Password X keyboard shortcuts. You can find it if you scroll down a bit more on the page you were looking at. Here's a link straight to the correct section. It seems like we missed one that had changed in the past, so I'll work on getting that fixed. Thanks for catching it. :)

ref: web/support.1password.com#2073

This discussion has been closed.