Need to talk to one of you please

Options
mitiquin
mitiquin
Community Member

Too complicated. 😢. 1Password not working properly after restore from Time Machine backup after sending MacBook Pro for repairs. Can't find password generator anywhere. Other quirky things as well. Am able to see my passwords though. Really need to speak to someone....

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1 Password no longer working properly.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mitiquin

If you're looking for the password generator within 1Password mini in v7.3 please click on the "+ New Password" button toward the upper right. We're evaluating what would be the best label for this button, so the naming may change, but that is where it will continue to be positioned. What else can we help with? :)

Ben

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, finally figured out the new password generator. Was there an update released during this past week when my Mac was in the shop? Other problems: mini no longer able to auto-fill. I have to copy and paste ID and PW. And can no longer see log-ins in mini organized by tags; now just one long alphabetized list.

• Ben
    Options

v7.3 was released on May 28th. We're working on how to best incorporate tags into the new mini design, and hope to have something to offer soon. If mini isn't filling at all then it may not be communicating with the extension in your browser. Which browser are you using? Have you tried any others to see if the same problem exists there? Could you please confirm what version of the extension you have installed in your browser?

Ben

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

Using Safari and Firefox; mini version appears to be 7.3. Not filling for either.

• Ben
    Options

Okay. In Safari > Preferences > Extensions you should see 1Password listed and it should be checked. Could you please confirm that is the case? If you don't see it there please try rebooting your Mac and check again.

For Firefox, please be sure you've installed this extension: https://1password.com/browsers/firefox/

Ben

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

1Password is listed and checked in Safari, and it is also installed in Firefox. Still not filling in either.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mitiquin - where is 1Password installed? If it's not in your main /Applications folder, it won't fill into your browser. /Users/(your username)/Applications is no longer a supported location, as we're sandboxed now. Also, if 1Password is not licensed (or signed into a 1password.com account), you won't be able to use the browser extensions. You can check by clicking the 1Password menu item, and choosing License. If you don't see that, is it possible you downloaded from the Mac App Store instead of from us?

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

1) It is in my main application Folder. 2) I don't believe it is licensed, and there is a good chance I did indeed get it from the Mac App Store, but if that is a problem, why was all of this working perfectly just over a week ago (first 2 weeks of June, even after the May 28 release of mini 7.3)? Then my Mac crashed and was sent out to Apple; it got repaired (new logic board and new hard drive) and was then restored by me from a Time Machine backup 2 days ago, and since then, can't get it to work.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mitiquin

I don't believe it is licensed, and there is a good chance I did indeed get it from the Mac App Store...

In 1Password 6 for Mac, if you purchased from the Mac App Store, you have to re-download/install from there. Your data is also stored in a different location than the version of 1Password from our downloads page. If you originally purchased from us, you'd need to (re)-install from there. And you'd need to apply your license file. 1Password will not work without having been purchased via one of these methods.

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

Should I uninstall the mini extensions as well, and then reinstall those after I reinstall the main app?

• Ben
    Options

It wouldn't hurt. :)

Ben

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot delete the current version of 1Password from my Mac. Even though the app is clearly closed, efforts to delete it result in an error message that say it is open and cannot be deleted. What now?? I know you obviously prefer to trouble shoot via back and forth messages, but this is taking all day; I am very frustrated. Any chance we can work on this via a phone call, or screen sharing, or something like that???

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mitiquin

Any chance we can work on this via a phone call, or screen sharing, or something like that?

Sorry, but telephone support is not available for 1Password. To uninstall 1Password for Mac, please follow these instructions. Obviously not the part about removing the data, just the application. Let us know how that works.

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

Have reinstalled 1 Password 7 from the Mac App Store and also the Mini, which now seems to say version 7.3.1 (before it was 7.3) on Safari, but fill still not working. This is turning into a nightmare. As with many of your customers, I rely on 1Password for an untold number of work related websites. It not filling in the ID and PW for a site greatly undermines its usefulness. What now?

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

Another clue?? After I restored my Mac from Time Machine, and tried to use 1PW, I got messages that said my vault was the wrong format, and I had to change it to the .opvault format, which I did. I did not need that format 2 weeks ago. Is that change playing a role?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mitiquin - that'll likely be the issue, then: you don't have a license for 1Password 7 for Mac or a 1password.com membership. Version 7 is an entirely new version of 1Password and as such requires either an upgraded standalone license, or a 1password.com membership. The Mac App Store version also no longer has a standalone purchase option. When you look at Preferences > Vaults, what do you see there? How many vaults, and what are their names?

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

See attached please.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mitiquin

After I restored my Mac from Time Machine, and tried to use 1PW, I got messages that said my vault was the wrong format, and I had to change it to the .opvault format, which I did. I did not need that format 2 weeks ago. Is that change playing a role?

No. Agile Keychain was our old format of sync keychain for Dropbox sync, but it was replaced several years ago by its successor, OPVault. In 1Password 7 for Mac, we formally retired Agile Keychain, so anyone still using that format will have to update their sync keychain to OPVault if they a) upgrade to version 7 and b) want to continue syncing via Dropbox. Sounds like this is what happened to you.

That doesn't have any impact on your inability to save/edit/delete data or use the browser extensions, which is (as I suspected in my earlier reply) a function of 1Password 7 not being paid for. Do you know whether you'd like to purchase a new standalone license, or (our recommendation, for many reasons start a 1password.com membership? I can help you do either of those things. But without one of them, although you'll still be able to use your Master Password to unlock 1Password, you won't be able to add/edit or delete any data, or use the browser extension.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mitiquin - thanks for the screenshot -- that's indeed what I expected, then. If you want to continue using 1Password in standalone mode, you'll need to uninstall the Mac App Store version and download our version from our downloads page. If you'd prefer a 1password.com membership, you can use either the Mac App Store version or our version. Just let me know! :)

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

Uh, a little confused here. Differences/benefits/costs standalone mode vs. membership would be....?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mitiquin - standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows cost $64.99 each (however, they are currently on sale for $49.99 each). An individual 1password.com membership is $35.88/yr when billed annually (works out to $2.99/mo). Licenses are good for a single platform, and a single version, in other words: it is good for 1Password 7 for Mac, but not for the Windows version, and any future versions would again require an upgraded license. A 1password.com membership gives you access to install/use ALL FOUR of our 1Password apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android), so even if you device-hop, you'll never be without 1Password -- and it includes all future upgrades to all apps, too, for as long as you maintain the membership. Please see my previous link for more information about 1password.com accounts/memberships, but we're here to answer any questions. :)

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

Sigh. I guess I'll do the membership. How do we proceed? Should I once again delete the current 1Password app on my Mac? I assume the vault I have now will work with the membership 1PW I am about to get?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mitiquin - sounds good! :) If you're going with a 1password.com membership, you do NOT have to delete 1Password for Mac. Here's how you should do this: follow these instructions to create your account at 1password.com, sign into the account within 1Password for Mac, and transfer over your data. Finally, you can delete your old (and now unnecessary) Primary vault, and sign into your new account on every device on which you use 1Password (and remove Primary there, as well).

When you finish setting up your account in a browser, you'll be prompted to download the Emergency Kit; make sure you print it out and write your Master Password directly on it, especially if you chose a different Master Password than the one you've been using up to now. Keep the Emergency Kit in a safe place like a floor safe or safety deposit box, or with a trusted attorney if you prefer.

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

Arrg. I already have an Agile account of sorts. I signed up a long time ago, but never went the last step of the membership, and so I do not have a Secret Key. But every time I try to get the 30 free trial, and I put in my email address, it says I already have an account, which is true after a fashion, and then it asks for the Secret Key again, and round and round I go.

• Ben
    Options

@mitiquin

You can delete the old unused account by following the prompts here:

https://my.1password.com/support

Ben

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

OK; old account gone; new account set up, and Auto Fill now back in back in action. Hope you guys figures out tags in mini soon; that feature was very helpful.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @mitiquin! I am glad to hear that everything is behaving as expected again :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• mitiquin
    mitiquin
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, well, so not everything is behaving as expected. Every log-in in my vault on my iPhone is duplicated (that is, there are 2 of everything), but not in the vault of my 1PW on my Mac. Any thoughts?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mitiquin:

Is it possible that you actually have 2 vaults on your iPhone? You can check this by launching 1Password and going to Settings > Vaults.

Do you by chance have your old Primary vault still in there?

This discussion has been closed.