Approve with Apple Watch [OS feature, not 3rd party]

drro
drro
Community Member
edited July 2019 in Apple Watch

Any feedback on whether the new Catalina feature that allows one to authenticate with an Apple Watch will be usable by your team, to allow 1Password authentication via watch?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@drro - nothing to announce at this time, no. We don't normally pre-announce release dates for either new version updates or specific features, as many factors (some beyond our control) affect them. Please stay tuned. :)

• drro
    drro
    Community Member

Can you comment on whether it’s technically possible, without revealing future plans? Thanks in advance,

David

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nothing to say about it at this time. Sorry. Perhaps we'll have something to share in time. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nothing to announce at this time. It appears to be something built into the OS anyway, which works in lieu of entering macOS user account credentials to install an app, for example, not something which apps themselves can use.

• SpaceGray
    SpaceGray
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

In macOS 10.15 (Catalina) Apple has added a new feature called Approve on Apple Watch which is described as follows:

Approve with Apple Watch lets users approve many security prompts by simply tapping the side button on their Apple Watch.

Source: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/apple-previews-macos-catalina/

I will admit I am not 100% clear if this will be available to third party apps, but in the event that it is, I write to request that 1Password look into supporting it. this would create a much simpler method for users to unlock 1Password.

Along with this I believe there also becomes an ideal setup for security:

1. After reboot, wake from sleep, manual lock etc. 1Password requires password.
    2. 1Password locks automatically after 1 minute of last use.
    3. All future unlocks until next reboot/sleep/manual lock can be approved with a compatible Apple Watch.

For my personal setup, locking automatically at a faster rate would actually make my setup safer as currently I keep 1Password unlocked once I sit in front of my computer and for a few minutes after it is idle. If this could instead be passed off immediately to my Apple Watch, this would ensure that no one else passing by an idle computer could access 1Password.

Thanks for your consideration!

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 10.15
    Sync Type: iCloud

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SpaceGray: Thanks for getting in touch! I've merged your post with the existing discussion on this topic. You have done a great job of essentially voicing all of my hopes and dreams...but at this time Approve with Apple Watch appears to work for OS-level security prompts. Maybe Apple will open this (or similar) to everyone in the future, and I'd certainly love to see that happen. But for now it's just a cool way to not have to enter your macOS user account password all the time. Really glad to see this since Touch ID is still not available on most Macs. And we'll be keeping an eye out as things develop in the future. Cheers! :)

• SpaceGray
    SpaceGray
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks so much for the merge! I suspected there was an existing topic but couldn't find it when I posted this one. Hopefully this will become reality one day!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member

Hi, 1Password folks.

Just a +1 for this feature request, though I do understand that it may not be clear yet if it will be available to 3rd parties. I had hoped that it would work in all cases that TouchID works, but that might not be the case.

My usage scenario is a MacBook Pro which I connect to a dock. My MacBook is closed and sitting upright. If the MacBook were opened, I would be able to use TouchID to unlock 1Password. Closed, I've always wanted to be able to unlock via my watch.

Just wanted to add my voice here to support the scenario and the ask. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@zendnez - thanks for weighing in! :) We really do appreciate hearing users' use-cases and reasoning.

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars. Please keep up the awesome work. My family and I couldn't get by without 1Password!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Viduy
    Viduy
    Community Member

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Viduy: I've merged your post with the existing discussion. It isn't possible today for 1Password to do that, but I do hope it will be possible someday. Have a great weekend! :)

• imjeffp
    imjeffp
    Community Member

Another vote for this feature, since Apple doesn't seem to want to sell a keyboard with the Touch Bar.

• If it ever becomes possible I'm sure we'd love to have it. :+1:

Ben

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

+1 for this features!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. Perhaps someday it will be possible. :)

• kalbert312
    kalbert312
    Community Member

Can I up vote this more than once?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No, but thanks for asking. :lol:

• varase
    varase
    Community Member

I would also love to see 1password on the Mac authenticate via an iPhone or Apple Watch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We would too, but it's not something we'll do unless it can be done securely and reliably, and there are technical challenges With both. Maybe someday. :)

• marknazareno
    marknazareno
    Community Member

+1
    Just installed Catalina and "Approve with Apple Watch" is very convenient on a MacBook on clamshell mode most of the time.
    It would be great if Apple allow third-party apps to tap into this and even greater if 1Password supports this feature if ever it becomes available :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hopefully we'll have a good way to do it someday. :)

• mitch65
    mitch65
    Community Member

that's a must have feature indeed !!!

• Thanks for your input, @mitch65. :)

Ben

• philb74
    philb74
    Community Member

+1
    Waiting for this feature so bad! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know. :+1: :)

• Joilence
    Joilence
    Community Member

+1 vote for approving with Apple Watch feature, if possible.

This discussion has been closed.