How to upgrade to 1Password 7

This discussion was created from comments split from: How to migrate from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7?.

Comments

• paulbartell
    paulbartell
    Community Member

I've been using 1Password for 5-6 years now, I'm on 1Password 6.8.9. I keep getting notices to Upgrade to 1Password 7 and I keep hearing about having a 1Password "account". Really, all I want 1Password to do is exactly what it does for me now. I have 2 MacBook Airs, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones all syncing through iCloud. I have to support this product for myself and my wife(I'm the techno-responsible family member).

Having said all that, I'm all for being on a relatively current piece of software so there would be a plus. I'm dreading having to do the migration to 7, wondering how many weeks I'm going to blow before its settled down, there's a negative. And I'm dreading having to re-train my wife on using a new package, there's a negative. The price is not a big deal, so there's a positive.

When I searched the web for "transition from 1Password6 to 7" I got this discussion... I'm hoping you guys have an actual document that can properly set expectations as well as relate the step-by-step involved in the transition. Don't need a features and benefits writeup.

• Hi @paulbartell

I'm glad to hear 1Password has been working well for you. I actually just had a very similar conversation with another customer who was essentially in the same boat. Here is what I recommended to them:

1. Sign up for a 1Password Families membership from your MacBook: https://start.1password.com/sign-up/plan
    2. Print your Emergency Kit that is presented to you as part of the signup process
    3. Download 1Password 7 for Mac on your MacBook and sign into your newly created account using the details from the Emergency Kit
    4. Follow the on-screen prompts to migrate your data
    5. Make sure 1Password for iOS is up to date and sign into your account on your iOS devices
    6. Invite your wife to your membership: Share passwords in 1Password Families
    7. Have her sign up following the link in the invitation email and then follow steps 2 – 5 (once created she should sign into her account with your membership on her devices, not your account)
    8. Make sure that both of you are able to sign in at https://my.1password.com/ and each of you see all of your respective 1Password data there

Lastly, make sure there is no "Primary" vault left on any of the devices. It is a little bit of a migration, and as with any new version of software there is a bit of a learning curve, but with those steps you should be in really good shape. I hope that helps. I wouldn't anticipate any, but if you do run into any difficulty please let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.