1Password mini vs 1Password X

Options
01steven
01steven
Community Member

I use Chrome and almost exclusively require 1Password in the browser. Can somebody please explain what the difference is between the new 1Password mini Chrome extension and 1Password X? Finding it confusing that there seem to be two Chrome extensions that seem to essentially be doing the same thing. Thanks, Steven

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 7.3 mini
OS Version: OSX 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrRooni
    Options

Hi @01steven. That's a great question! When it comes to functionality both 1Password mini and 1Password X are almost exactly the same, however there are some key differences:

• 1Password mini is part of the native 1Password for Mac app, meaning it runs on your computer and is available in your browsers as well as other apps on your computer.
    • 1Password X runs directly within your browser (Chrome and Firefox) which means it can run anywhere those browsers can run, like Linux, Chromebook, and more.

There are some other technical and feature differences between the two, but at a high level those are the main differences. If'd you like me to dive into some of the other differences just let me know.

• Hansjurg
    Hansjurg
    Community Member
    Options

I am a longtime 1Password user and have persevered through numerous upgrades, eventually into the subscription modality. The dropbox backup storage is convenient. I muddle along secure w my password manager.

Now having said that, I continue to be confused which application of 1Password will work best for me.

I use chrome and also safari as well for college level teaching with canvas as my learning management system. Usually, I work with apple devices, os and ios on chrome and safari, but it’s not unheard of my having to have my pc up and running at the same time with whatever browser chose to use in Windows 10.

On my imac, I login to an account through school managed chrome account, view a student’s canvas class assignment and then open in safari (using the 1password app) the description of that assignment. (I use the monitor on my imac and an external monitor to view the description of that assignment). I scan back and forth between these screens. Often, to properly grade or provide feedback to the student, I need to open additional screens or tabs for accounts in either or both browsers to access web based information. These accounts might require separate account logins. What forms or types of 1Password should I be using as I trek along this multi-lane information highway? 1Password 3, the mini, or now the new 1Password X or a little bit of each?

Pls help me understand your best practice typical workflow using the different 1Password applications for how I typically work w 1Password as described above.
    PS, I created this from my ipadpro.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Hansjurg!

What forms or types of 1Password should I be using as I trek along this multi-lane information highway? 1Password 3, the mini, or now the new 1Password X or a little bit of each?

I am afraid that this is not a question that we can answer for you. We offer several ways to use 1Password so everyone can choose their favorite one, or the one that works best for their use case.

In your case, however, I think the choice will be a bit easier. On iOS there is no such difference, and you can only use the AutoFill feature.

On the Mac, you wrote that you open the description of the assignments in Safari, so here you should use the traditional browser extension or 1Password Mini, as 1Password X is only available for Chrome and Firefox :)

This discussion has been closed.