Unique situation, will 1password work?

Our company has a very strict policy regarding passwords. Since we distribute through eBay/Amazon, we cannot allow our employees to access the accounts on different IP (ex: home) We want to keep it in our office and nowhere else.

I want to be able to setup the sub users myself and have it automatically log in on a dedicated PC in our office. However, 1password requires a master password to log in and once logged in they're able to see the secret password.

I tried using roboform to sign into 1password app, but it doesn't attach to the app correctly.

If we give them access to the password to the sub accounts, they can simply use that to log in from their house. Is there a way to prevent this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stranger323: Thanks for getting in touch. Happy to help clarify where I can. :)

I tried using roboform to sign into 1password app, but it doesn’t attach to the app correctly.

This isn't something we can support, or could do anything about, as we don't have control over others' products.

If we give them access to the password to the sub accounts, they can simply use that to log in from their house. Is there a way to prevent this?

I apologize if I am misunderstanding your use case, but it sounds like you are trying to give people access to passwords, but only in the workplace. If that's the case, I'd encourage you to reach out to business@1password.com so we can discuss it in more detail.

But I will say that it sounds like it may be effective for you to let people use the 1Password account with the data at work, but simply not give them all of the credentials to it. For example, both the Secret Key and Master Password are needed to sign in initially. But when using the app on a device day-to-day, when it's already been setup with the account, only the Master Password is needed. I'm not sure how you'd accomplish the logistics of getting them signed in initially without them knowing the credentials -- or, without you knowing the credentials; but in a business environment you may be okay with having some of that information.

• stranger323
    stranger323
    Community Member

That's exactly what we're trying to do. Have them sign in automatically without them knowing the password. If that's not possible is there a way to restrict access by IP? Or can the secret password be hidden from the sub-accounts?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stranger323: It isn't possible to sign in at all without the account credentials. But each account will have a Master Password, which is required to unlock the app to access the data after initial sign in. So I guess if you have everyone's account credentials, you can sign in for them initially, and then unlock 1Password for them when they need to access it for work. Just keep in mind that once you sign them in, they have access to everything you've given their account access to. In order for them to, say, sign into Amazon, they'd need those account credentials, so you'd need to somehow ensure they don't write them down or something, regardless of any other measures you take: a person cannot simultaneously have and not have access to information. I'd suggest you reach out to business@1password.com to discuss it more in depth.

This discussion has been closed.