is there a tutorial available?

I signed up, downloaded the app and filled my vault with my websites and P/Ws. I can't get it to even open my Hotmail account. It will fill my email address but not my P/W.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:is there a current tutorial for 1password? I opened an account yesterday.

Comments

• Wavery
    Wavery
    Community Member

I have the most current version of 1password.... not sure what "Extension Version" even means.....I have W10 OS...….I don't know what "Sync Type" even means. I am using the "Edge" browser.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Wavery! When you download 1Password, that is only the main part of the equation. You also need a 1Password browser extension that will allow the app you installed to interact with your browser. The specifics are a little different between browsers, but with Edge, you'll want to click the three dots menu at the far right of Edge's menubar and choose Extensions. From there, choose Explore More Extensions, until you're able to open the store, then search for 1Password, and you should be able to install it from there. Let us know if you have any problems. :)

• Wavery
    Wavery
    Community Member

I must have done that part right because it shows that I "Own" it. I clicked on the extension and it shows that it is "On". However,
    when I double click on "Sign in to your Microsoft Account" it will fill in my email address but it won't fill in my password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Wavery: Can you tell me the URL? Generally Microsoft/Live.com sign in is split between multiple pages, so 1Password would not be able to fill both username and password if, say, only a username field is present. But maybe there's a specific login portal I am not familiar with. :)

• Wavery
    Wavery
    Community Member

Ya...… I think that's the problem. The 1st page asks for "user name" (which 1password fills in) then it switches to a 2nd page which asks for the P/W (which 1password doesn't fill in).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Wavery: 1Password will almost certainly fill on the second page if you tell it to. Have you tried that? The shortcut on Windows is Ctrl \. Very handy. :)

• Wavery
    Wavery
    Community Member

Thank you for your help. I'm not sure what I did but Hotmail is working now.

I still wish there was a tutorial. I have 4 different devises and 2-email accounts. To my aging brain, this is worse than trying to remember all my passwords.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Wavery - aww, I'm sorry. It certainly isn't designed to be. We do have a pretty extensive support section that features a good search section. Usually typing in a few words related to what you want to do or are wondering about will get you to an article that's directly relevant. There's also our YouTube channel as well, if you're more the video type than reading-it-yourself type. And of course, we're always here if you have questions (well, OK, we do sleep sometimes ;) ).

• Wavery
    Wavery
    Community Member

How do I add new items to my list? I have a bunch of websites saved and I want to add Facebook. I can't figure out how to add it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Wavery - these instructions should help. :)

• Wavery
    Wavery
    Community Member

OK........ I just realized that I use FB on a different browser. I installed the extension on that browser, logged out of FB and logged back in. My PW is now saved in 1Password.

I'm starting to get the hang of it.

• Glad to hear you're catching on, @Wavery! Starting to use a password manager is a big adjustment to be sure, but I find most folks do catch on given time and find it's not quite so daunting as it may appear at first. It sounds like you're making great progress, but if you ever have additional questions, that's why we're here and we're always happy to help. :chuffed:

• Wavery
    Wavery
    Community Member

Do you guys still let googlechrome save the password too? If not, how do I delete the PWs in googlechrome?

I never imagined that it would be this difficult to set up a PW account like this. There should be a video tutorial to help people get started. I found one on youtube but it was old and really wasn't helpful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Wavery: We don't have anything to do with Google Chrome's password management feature. We recommend disabling things like that in any browser, as that can cause confusion -- in addition to having security and privacy implications:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

If you need to import some data from Chrome, we have a guide for that:

Move your passwords from Chrome to 1Password

And if you'll let me know the specifics of anything else you need help with, I'll be glad to assist. :)

• Wavery
    Wavery
    Community Member

Do you guys still let googlechrome save the password too? If not, how do I delete the PWs in googlechrome?

I never imagined that it would be this difficult to set up a PW account like this. There should be a video tutorial to help people get started. I found one on youtube but it was old and really wasn't helpful.

• Wavery
    Wavery
    Community Member

Thank you. Still a little nervous about the whole thing.

• Not only is it normal to be a bit nervous about these sorts of changes, @Wavery, I'd say it's healthy. Being a bit nervous keeps us from leaping before we look and encourages us to ask questions when we're unsure, which is absolutely the right thing to do in these cases, I'd say. Don't stress yourself out too much, though. While we can't possibly create a video for every possible starting point, that's why my teammates and I are here – to give you personalize help when you need it. If ever we can do anything to help, we'll be right here waiting. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.