Do I need to use a 1Password account?

kennyloh
kennyloh
Community Member

My iPad and iPhone are both synced to Dropbox. In the past, I had two existing accounts. I don’t use these two accounts anymore except my partner whom I believe is linked to one of those accounts. I am now trying to get the 1Password app on my Macbook to sync. Do I need to create a new account so I can sync my iPhone, iPad and MacBook. I have some data in those two old accounts which I don’t need anymore.
Part 2 of my question is this. If my partner is using 1Password as part of my family, I need to maintain the two old accounts right. If I were to remove those accounts, she would lose all her data, right?
Thanks for your helop.
Kenny

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kennyloh: Thanks for getting in touch. :) Just to make sure we're on the same page, there would be no 1Password account unless you'd signed up for a 1Password membership subscription within the last few years. You can use 1Password without a membership account, but then you'd need to purchase each version separately, and sync your own data. So I'd recommend the membership to make out easy to use 1Password across all your devices: you just sign into your account on each device -- no Dropbox or anything else:

About 1Password membership

A 1Password Families membership works the same way, but includes all of that for up to five family members in the base price, and makes it easy to securely share vaults with your loved ones:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

To get started, you can setup the family membership yourself. This guide will take you through signing up, migrating your existing data, and setting up the rest of your devices:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

That will give you a good sense of how it works, and then you can invite family members to setup their own accounts as part of your family membership, migrate their own data, and setup the rest of their devices too.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• kennyloh
    kennyloh
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,
    Thanks for your feedback. I am subscribed to a families account but have lost my login password and secret key so I cannot login. My subscription expires at the end of July and I would like to login so I can change the subscription to a regular one since it’s only me using the app now. Thanks. Kenny.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kennyloh: Ah, thanks for clarifying. Just shoot us an email at support@1password.com with a link to this thread and we can help you get all of that sorted. If you post the Support ID you receive here I'll be happy to follow up with you myself. :)

• kennyloh
    kennyloh
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,
    I have managed to solve it with your suggestions. Since I am the only one using the app, I have subscribed to the standalone version instead. My family account expires at the end of the month so that works out for me.
    I have setup a new account and I actually received a pop-up window asking me if I wanted to transfer the data in my dropbox over. I answered yes and now my data is syncing between my iPad and iPhone. Thanks for your help.

• Hi @kennyloh,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get things working. I just wanted to see if we could quickly clear up some terms to hopefully avoid any confusion in the future.

"Standalone" and "subscription" (membership) are two separate ways to use 1Password. There isn't such a thing as a standalone subscription. If you purchased a license you'd use standalone vaults and sync through iCloud or Dropbox. If you have a subscription you'd use membership vaults and sync through 1Password.com. With a membership you shouldn't have a vault called "Primary" (whereas with standalone you will).

Does that help clarify? Please let me know.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.