What happens if I upgrade to V7 from V4

I currently have paid for V4 but Firefox extension now links to free V7. If I give up in total frustration and PAY FOR NEW Version 7 (just to get on with life) will I be able to import all my info from V4 or will it become hopelessly lost?

1Password Version: V4
Extension Version: 6.2.626
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: unknown
Referrer: forum-search:Password extension links to V 7. I paid for and use V4 but now extension link is broken

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jfr219: Yes, you can take your existing data with you. :)

I'm sorry for the confusion though. There is no "free" version of 1Password 7, and we don't promote it that way. You can, however, try a 1Password membership free for 30 days. That includes all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

https://support.1password.com/why-account/

And this guide will take you through signing up for the account, migrating your data, and setting up your devices:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Stivan
    Stivan
    Community Member

If you get a subscription and your membership lapses, does your data become unavailable?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Stivan: Nope! Good question though. After the free trial, the account is "frozen" without an active membership, so the data is read-only, but accessible to you. :)

• Stivan
    Stivan
    Community Member

Got it. Thank you

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Here if you have any other questions. :chuffed:

• Stivan
    Stivan
    Community Member

Thanks! Is the data file still kept as a local file, for instance in a folder in my dropbox?

• You do have a local copy your data with a 1Password membership, much like the local copy in your Dropbox folder with a standalone vault, but just like with a Dropbox vault an encrypted copy of that data must be stored remotely as well to sync to other devices. In the case of a 1Password memberships, that encrypted data syncs via our servers to your other devices. All encryption happens locally, though, and neither your Master Password nor Secret Key are ever sent to our servers so we don't have the keys to unlock your data (and we don't want 'em either). :+1:

This discussion has been closed.