1Password X or 1Password Chrome Extension

Hi All,

I am just after recommendations, what set up do you guys use? I also have a couple of questions after reading the 1Password Blog about swapping to 1Password X.

Firstly, is it worth it, I use the Mac app to organise all my bits and then I use the browser extension to fill and save new passwords as I am sure most do. I guess my main questions are as follows:

• Does the X app actually enhance that experience or allow anything in addition to the normal extension?
  • Does X work in Incognito mode given that 'clearing cookies' would require you to keep re authenticating 2FA?
  • Will the app in the taskbar remain? I assume this is linked to the mac app and not the extension.
  • Can I do everything I can now with the normal extension if I were to swap to X?

Welcome your thoughts and comments,

Have a great day.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @Zaka_7.

I'm not a 1Pass team member, but this thread has some very useful info about the difference between 1PassX and the native app extension. The core functions are the same, but they do look and work a little bit differently.

Hope it helps :chuffed: Have a great Wednesday!

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

Thanks @arturoaubry

My understanding is it is purely for those who do not have the ability to have the main app installed.

I think I will stick to the normal mini app, it was just the article about 1PW X that I saw online that got me wondering if I was missing anything.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

Hi @Zaka_7! These are some solid questions. I'll give you my own input, but the thread will remain open in case anyone else wants to chime in as well. :)

My understanding is it is purely for those who do not have the ability to have the main app installed.

1Password X may have began this way, but it's developed into something much bigger. I personally use 1Password X alongside my 1Password for Mac desktop app, and I love it. We recently released some new technology that allows 1Password X and the 1Password for Mac app to communicate with each other. Granted, it's still in the beta phase, but it allows the two apps to share lock states and lets you edit items in 1Password for Mac straight from 1Password X.

Now, for your actual questions...

Does the X app actually enhance that experience or allow anything in addition to the normal extension?

I think the first part of this question is based on personal preference, but I'd say yes. The user experience with 1Password X is more intuitive, in my opinion. For example, you're offered Logins directly underneath the field you want filled. Here's an example of what you'd see when signing into Twitter:

On top of that, you also receive inline Suggested Passwords similar to the screenshot above, only with a new password for when you're creating an account. You're able to fill a secure, randomly generated password at the click of a button, then save it in 1Password to fill in the future. It makes signing up for accounts while using 1Password X a breeze. Another great feature is the ability to fill TOTP automatically. Here's a screencast of me signing into Amazon with 1Password X:

https://com-agilebits-users.s3.amazonaws.com/cecelia/Screen-Recording-2019-06-27-18-24-59.mp4

Does X work in Incognito mode given that 'clearing cookies' would require you to keep re authenticating 2FA?

I was curious about this, so I just gave it a try in incognito mode. I did have to enable the extension to be available while incognito, but after that, it seemed to work just fine.

Will the app in the taskbar remain? I assume this is linked to the mac app and not the extension.

That's correct. 1Password mini in the taskbar will stay unless you choose that you don't want it there. With Desktop App Integration where 1Password for Mac and 1Password X communicate like I mentioned earlier, you can even fill using 1Password mini. Keep in mind that's only available in the beta of both 1Password X and 1Password for Mac at the moment.

Can I do everything I can now with the normal extension if I were to swap to X?

If you choose to stay on the stable build (without Desktop App Integration), then you won't be able to unlock 1Password X with Touch ID if you have it, and 1Password X and 1Password for Mac wouldn't share lock states. That means you'd be required to unlock both apps separately.

I hope that helps, and I'm curious what others have to say as well.

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

Thanks @kaitlyn that’s a great reply. Very informative and helpful. I think I’m going to give X a go and see. I can always swap back after all!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Zaka_7 – Anytime! I'm glad I could help. If you think of any questions once you start using 1Password X, don't hesitate to give us a shout. :chuffed:

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

@kaitlyn Ok i've starting using X and already love it!! The fact that it fills intelligently in the cells and you don't even need to open the app is unreal!! and it does indeed work in Incognito mode! kudos team!!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@Zaka_7 – Thanks for the follow up, and that's awesome you're enjoying 1Password X! It's my personal favorite 1Password app, but I didn't want my original reply to be too biased. :lol:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jorhett: We don't have any plans to make a comparison chart. That time and effort is better spent helping 1Password users and improving 1Password for everyone. And, honestly, there are so many different use cases out there that we couldn't reasonably cover them all anyway -- even the ones we're aware of. :lol: Anyway, I'm sure we'll be excited to announce when desktop integration for 1Password X is complete. Looking forward to that myself. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's what we're here for: so you and others can get answers without having to find them yourselves; you can just ask. :)

This discussion has been closed.