How to generate a new password in 1Password X

Options
amswitzer
amswitzer
Community Member
edited July 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

I find the process to generate a new password in the 1PWX is terrible! Here's my experience this morning:

• went to set up a new account on a financial site.
  • got to the point of entering my password.
  • there's no option presented to use the password generator from 1PWX. Just not there. I played around, search, expanded the options - nada. No way to do this.
  • put in an easier than normal password just to get through this process.
  • set up my account, then logged out and back in and went to the site's page for changing passwords (I want a more secure one).
  • right click on the new password field.
  • 1PWX presents me with it's choice of password - which is way too long for what this site will accept.
  • no way for the user to go into the 1PWX extension to try to get it to generate a password that is the length and format that this site will accept.
  • tried going directly to the 1PW site itself.
  • the site that I just created on 1PWX is not there - 10 minutes later!
  • no password generator on the 1PW site itself that a user can take advantage of. Had to wait a few more minutes and refresh.
  • OK - now I can do it from the site.

The main point here is that users shouldn't have to go through this process. I shouldn't have to generate an easy password just to set up the new site then return back and go through this to change it to something more secure. That defeats the purpose.

Why isn't there an option to go to the 1PWX password generator when I want to go through from the extension? Why doesn't a user have this option at any time they wish to generate a password? Why do we have to rely on 1PWX's smart handling to give us this option.

This needs to be changed. It's a very poor user experience.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.15.3
OS Version: Window 10 Professional
Sync Type: account

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I wholeheartedly agree with you, @amswitzer. We would never intend for a user to go through all of these steps in order to create a new account. In fact, 1Password X is meant to help you do the exact opposite of creating an easy password just to get through a registration process. I'll share my own process with you, and I think you'll be in a much better spot. We'll use the 1Password support forum website in this example since I'm not sure what website you were signing up for.

1. After navigating to the 1Password support forum registration page, fill out your email address and username.
    2. When you get to the password field, click Suggested Password underneath it.
    3. Select the vault you'd like to save the Login to, and click Save.

I also created this video for you to see these steps in action.

I understand that not all websites will accept the 20 character inline suggested password. It sounds like it was too long for the site you were using as your example. My first instinct would be to backspace a few characters, then save the item in 1Password by clicking Save in 1Password underneath the field. If you'd like to generate a different password instead, you have the option of clicking the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar to open the popup, then click the + sign button, then Password Generator.

Three steps sounds much better than the twelve you listed, so I'm curious how you got to that state. I believe you mentioned that you didn't see the inline suggested password option the first time around, so I'd love to grab the website this happened on. If the 1Password icon isn't appearing in a field when it should, it's something we'll want to get reported to our developers so we can continue improving the 1Password X filling experience. Are you able to share the URL with me?

This discussion has been closed.