Browser compatibility for 1Password 6 [Not compatible with Brave; upgrade required]

This discussion was created from comments split from: Is Auto Fill from browser extension a paid feature now?.

Comments

• jb1
    jb1
    Community Member

Really unhappy about this. For some reason I just recently got a prompt to upgrade to 7, although it appears to have been released a year ago. It did not say that it was a paid upgrade and that I would lose functionality until I paid up. I was very happy with 6 and I thought 7 was a free upgrade. So, after wasting a lot of time that I really didn't have, I downgraded back to 6.8.9. But... I must have had an older version and it worked with Brave. Now it doesn't. Thanks a lot 1Password. So I have now wasted a lot of time and lost functionality. Can I downgrade to a version that works with Brave? Do you offer that?

If not, can I export my data to migrate to another program?

• Hi @jb1

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

As far as I'm aware no version of 1Password 6 will work with the latest versions of Brave. We've made changes in 1Password 7 to add compatibility but these will not be back-ported to v6, as v6 is now retired and no longer receiving updates. The best way forward would be to upgrade to 1Password 7 as that would give you compatibility with the latest versions of all of the browsers we support, including Brave. We can't recommend using an older version. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to revert to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. As things continue to be updated / upgraded around 1Password it will be less and less practical to continue to use an old version. If you do want to try reverting to a previous version of 1Password 6 you can find every version we've ever published here:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/

Because licenses never expire you can continue to use the version you purchased for as long as it works for you, but as mentioned above that may not be a very practical or pragmatic solution. If you do revert to a previous version I'd recommend considering that to be a temporary solution.

Moving forward I'd highly recommend considering a 1Password membership, which in addition to a number of other benefits will get you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices. You no longer have to pay separately to license each new version:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

can I export my data to migrate to another program?

Absolutely you can. We want 1Password customers to continue to move forward with us because they're happy with what we're offering, not because they feel locked in. As such we offer some of the best exports in the industry. You can read more about how to export here:

How to export data from 1Password

Please note that by their nature exports are unencrypted and as such should be securely deleted at the first opportunity.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jb1
    jb1
    Community Member

Mine worked with Brave so maybe it was earlier than 6. I never check the version until it stopped working.

I'm just getting a little tired of every software I own wanting to push me into a subscription model. $36 a year for you, $50 for someone else, $200+ for Dreamweaver, Fireworks, QuickBooks, etc. It adds up.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2019

Mine worked with Brave so maybe it was earlier than 6. I never check the version until it stopped working.

I suspect that came as a result of an update to Brave, rather than the fact that you were using an older version of 1Password.

I'm just getting a little tired of every software I own wanting to push me into a subscription model. $36 a year for you, $50 for someone else, $200+ for Dreamweaver, Fireworks, QuickBooks, etc. It adds up.

I understand that, but continuing to employ and attract good quality development talent isn't free either. If we want to be able to continue to provide quality software and updates, as well as the customer service that goes along with that we need to charge sustainable prices for the products and services that we're delivering. It is of course up to each individual to decide what value 1Password brings them. Personally I find that $3/mo is well worth the peace of mind and ease of use that 1Password provides me, but admittedly I'm a bit biased. I was a customer before I joined the team, though.

If ultimately you decide that the juice isn't worth the squeeze I hope you won't give up on password management entirely. There are certainly less expensive (or even free) options out there. We feel 1Password offers a premium experience, and the price does reflect that to a degree. I do think the old adage that "you get what you pay for" bears some truth. Especially with a free or very low cost option I think you have to consider how the company is making money. Are there ads in the apps, and if so is that the kind of experience you want? If not, what is the company selling to stay in business?

Definitely something to think about. Either way it goes I hope you're able to find a solution that you're comfortable with and confident in. Please let me know if you have any other questions for us.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

For what it's worth, Brave rebuilt their browser last year based on Chromium, so it's an entirely different code base now, just with the same name, from the same people, with the same focus on privacy. That's what changed.

This discussion has been closed.