Mutiple Account Sign in

tb582
tb582
Community Member
edited July 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

How do I use 1passX in FF with multiple accounts (home and work) - right now I can 'command + .' which will so the enter 1pass password mini window - depending on which pw I enter I get into that account and then under settings > accounts & vaults I can see I'm signed into the proper 1pass account for that pw. But now if I also want to login to my home account I was hoping for some keyboard shortcut to also login to that account. Right now I have to open settings > accounts & vaults click my account name 'home' it brings me to https://my.1password.com/signin where I can enter my home pw and now I have access via the extension to both home and work accounts and vaults. Can be confirmed via 'settings > accounts' once again and both home and work will show green.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.15.3
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tb582: 1Password X unlocks account(s) based on the Master Password you enter. That way, if you want to compartmentalize things, you can unlock only your work account when you're working, etc. But if you use the same long, strong Master Password for both accounts, it will be able to unlock them both when you enter it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• tb582
    tb582
    Community Member

Using the same pw for two different accounts seems like it would defeat the purpose?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tb582: It's something that comes up from time to time, and I can definitely see how it seems counterintuitive. But consider the following:

• A single long, strong, unique password will be easier to remember and type than multiple
    • It will be much harder to guess than two passwords of half the length (since having to remember more than one encourages us to use weaker ones)
    • Unlike most accounts you have, the password isn't being stored somewhere (like hashed on the server, as with most websites)

I'm not saying there aren't legitimate reasons to use more than one. There are. One that comes to mind is if you're required to give your company your work passwords in case something happens to you. Then you probably don't want to use the same one for a personal account. However, each account has a unique Secret Key, so it really depends on the situation; it may be feasible to use the same Master Password even in that kind of a situation.

Ultimately it's up to you. We've had enough people that wanted to be able to unlock accounts separately, especially in business, and with so many companies restricting the installation of desktop apps, I think 1Password X is a good place for this. But, at the same time, if the convenience of unlocking multiple accounts with a single Master Password outweighs the rest for you, you're not really sacrificing security by using a long, strong password that is only in your brain. But let me know what you think. :)

This discussion has been closed.