Add and remove family members to the subscription

Martijnn
Martijnn
Community Member

I want to convince my family to use a password manager, because they use very bad passwords or use them on multiple websites at the same time. For this I thought it would be useful to take out a 1Password Families subscription, because I already use 1Password myself.

I only have two questions:

1. Can you add family members who already use 1Password?

2. What happens after you remove a family member from the subscription? Does that person still have access to his / her personal vault?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Martijnn!

Can you add family members who already use 1Password?

Yes.

What happens after you remove a family member from the subscription? Does that person still have access to his / her personal vault?

No, if you remove a user, you remove their account, so they will not have access to their vaults anymore. They can however export their data before you remove them from the account.

• deviant
    deviant
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Whoa that is a bit scary assuming we really do get our families on board and subsequently secure but dependent (Scary because since I manage the fam account I can take their whole world away from them without notice, not that I would).

Might there be a way for them to transition more smoothly to an individual account containing just their private Vault(s)? Do all item types export cleanly (documents, identities, etc.)?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2019

Hey @deviant

It is definitely a reasonable concern. Being a part of someone else's 1Password membership does require some level of trust in the organizer. If you don't have that level of trust, but still want/need to share some data within the family, it may make sense to have your own individual membership for your stuff, and to only use the family membership for items you want to share.

Everything moves pretty smoothly and easily between memberships with the exception of Documents. Documents require some manual finesse.

Ben

• deviant
    deviant
    Community Member

Thanks for the response @Ben .

The trust is there (got my Mom and Brother on board), but it would be great if people could leave the family without having to do an import/export (Someday my brother will get married and have a wife and kids of his own and might want to switch to another family account centered on his).

Also, while I run the family account, I am the most likely to continually evaluate and possibly switch vaults. Is it possible to transfer ownership of the family account in that case or would they all get nuked and have to start over?

Thanks

• Also, while I run the family account, I am the most likely to continually evaluate and possibly switch vaults. Is it possible to transfer ownership of the family account in that case or would they all get nuked and have to start over?

It is actually better than that: you can have multiple family organizers. That way multiple people can have control. You don't have to hand it over.

About family organizers in 1Password Families

The trust is there (got my Mom and Brother on board), but it would be great if people could leave the family without having to do an import/export (Someday my brother will get married and have a wife and kids of his own and might want to switch to another family account centered on his).

Understood, and that makes some sense, though it may make sense to expand the existing membership rather than starting a new one. Either would be possible of course but as you say starting a new one would require some work for anyone moving over to the new one. Hopefully we can improve that process.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.