Wife's data deleted when converting separate accounts to family account

Baldred
Baldred
Community Member

I have faithfully used 1Password for password management for several years now. One day I signed in and was unable to edit my data unless I signed up for a "subscription." I signed up for a family subscription and invited my wife, who had her own license. She accepted and logged in and her data was not loaded into our family account and she has lost access to her original data. I tried initiating a "recovery" option from my account and we went through that process, but it did not help recover her original 1Password data. When she logs in, she sees all of the vaults that I share with her, but does not see her original 1Password data that was associated with the same email address. Is there any way at all to recover that data?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Baldred: Separate accounts cannot be "converted" or "merged" into a single account; they will always be separate, and one does not affect another in any way. In order for her to get her existing data in the new account, she'd need to move it there. Where is her data currently?

• Baldred
    Baldred
    Community Member

Well, it isn't on any of the devices that she uses to sign in to 1Password. When she logs in through a browser or using the 1Password app on her iOS phone, she only sees the data that I have shared with her. She no longer sees her original data that was in her individual vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Baldred: If she had her data in her own individual 1Password membership account, she'd be able to access it there unless she deleted it. Have her sign into that in her browser (instead of the new account she created when you invited her):

https://start.1password.com

• Baldred
    Baldred
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

How would she differentiate one from the other if they're both under the same email address? I think that's where things went wrong. I think the link that 1Password sent her prompted her to create a new account rather than logging into her existing account. I'll do additional research tomorrow. Thank you for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

How would she differentiate one from the other if they're both under the same email address?

@Baldred: The Secret Key is randomly generated during account creation, so each account will have a completely different one, even if she used the same email address and Master Password.

I think that's where things went wrong. I think the link that 1Password sent her prompted her to create a new account rather than logging into her existing account.

That's exactly what she should have done to join your family membership. It sounds like she just needs to copy her data from the old account to the new one. She can sign into both in the 1Password app and copy items from one to the other. I think that;'s all that is needed here. Let me know how it goes. :)

• Baldred
    Baldred
    Community Member

Well, I think we have a problem. She doesn't recall ever being given a secret key for her original account (nor do I for mine), so now that she has a new account under the same email address, we don't know how to access her original account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Baldred: Ah okay. Then neither of you had accounts at all: you were using the standalone 1Password app. You'd only have an account with a Secret Key, etc. if you'd signed up for a 1Password membership since they were introduced a few years ago. So, if this is the first time either of you signed up, this is the only account you'd have. Unless you or something else on your device deleted 1Password's data, it will still be there. And if it exists, I'm sure I can help you find it! Please generate a diagnostic report on the device where 1Password data was saved originally so I can take a look:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#MXW-34299-766]

If you’re reading this and you are not Baldred, this Support ID is for Baldred only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link it to our current conversation. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: MXW-34299-766

• Baldred
    Baldred
    Community Member

Diagnostics sent. Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! I got it. I'll take a look at the diagnostics and we can continue the conversation via email. :)

This discussion has been closed.