Purchasing Stand alone License most irritating

Hi,

today I purchased a 1Password 7 stand alone license. Especially for a security related product I found the process most irritating:

1. When purchasing 1Password the application itself opens a window to enter my personal data and billing information (paypal in my case). There is a small "lock" icon where I can verify the certificate, but I have now way of checking on which web site I am and if the shown certificate is genuine or a fake. Opening the web page to purchase the product in an independent web browser would allow for all that.

Sure, I have the trust you anyway as I store my passwords in your application, but I still think that this is bad style!

1. When paying with paypal (I prefer to have my credit card information on as few websites as possible) 1Password is automatically registered with my paypal mail address. As I use different mail addresses and accounts for different purposes I do not want that. Again, why not just ask as nearly every other web shop selling licenses does.

I surly hope, that you handele the processes and security of 1Password itself better!

And please do not recommend using the 1Password membership instead (beside that I am not sure, if that would have solved the problems). I will never ever store my passwords on a server accessible through the internet! Never!!

Kind regards,
Zwald

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @zwald! Welcome to the forum!

When purchasing 1Password the application itself opens a window to enter my personal data and billing information (paypal in my case). There is a small "lock" icon where I can verify the certificate, but I have now way of checking on which web site I am and if the shown certificate is genuine or a fake.

Can you please clarify this part a little bit? You said that if you click on the lock icon you can verify the certificate of the website, but then you also wrote that you cannot verify if the certificate is genuine or fake. If you click on that icon, you can certainly view the certificate information and make sure that it is valid, unless I misunderstood what you meant.

And thank you for taking the time to share all this feedback!

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@RobLewis: Certainly! You can see our pricing information in our official blog post, but here it is for your convenience: a standalone license for 1Password for Mac costs $64.99, but it's currently on sale for $49.99 :)

Family licenses are not available anymore, so every person will need their own license. With many people using 1Password in a family, a Families membership offers a much better value instead.

• Can you please clarify this part a little bit? You said that if you click on the lock icon you can verify the certificate of the website, but then you also wrote that you cannot verify if the certificate is genuine or fake. If you click on that icon, you can certainly view the certificate information and make sure that it is valid, unless I misunderstood what you meant.

When I click on the "lock" iccon a window with the usual certificate information is shown. But I have no way of checking, if this is "faked" by the application or if it is the real certificate information. So I have no way of checking to which webpage my information is transmitted. Neither I know if the connection is actually encrypted or if the application window just shows a lock, regardless of the type of connection.

When purchasing in my regular browser I can be sure, that the information the browser displays (address, connection type, certificate information) is genuine and that the browser checks the certificate.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

We are not marketing standalone licenses anymore, so our website focuses only on the 1Password Membership option. If someone prefers the standalone license, we offer pricing information about that in multiple other places (as mentioned in my previous post, you can find it on our blog, inside the 1Password app, and here on the forum in multiple discussions). Or you just need to ask here once more and we are always happy to answer that :)

This discussion has been closed.