Cannot get a family account to work.

Options
jdehnert
jdehnert
Community Member

I created an account for my wife in my Family account over a year ago, but she never used it. Recently the need for her to use a password manager has become more obvious, so I went back and tried a recovery of her account since she could not remember the password. No matter what we tried, we were never able to log in as her.

I decided to delete her account, and create a new one, but when I tried this, the application created a new account for her, separate from the family account. I tried to add this to the family account, but it would never accept the account for some reason. I went back to look at her account on my 1password web interfaced, and her account is still there, but we can't seem to do anything with it.

I can't get the emergency kit if I can't log in as her, so no emergency kit.

The support notes say to get the account information, to log into the app, but if I could log into the app I wouldn't need support, would I?

What on earth do I need to do to get this account to work?

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdehnert: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the difficulty!

No matter what we tried, we were never able to log in as her.

Can you elaborate on this? It's not clear to me where you're running into trouble exactly. Are you getting an error? Thanks in advance!

• jdehnert
    jdehnert
    Community Member
    Options

I ran an account recovery on my wife's re-created account, and I was finally able to log on and get her emergency kit info.

I'm sure the problem was something I was doing. I severely doubt it's an issue with the 1Password software.

@brentyt, I was constantly getting error when we tried to log in. The error was bad email or private key I believe. It was frustrating because the support pages were telling me to look at the Emergency Kit, or log into the app. I was having troubles logging onto the application, and I also needed to log on to get access to the Emergency Kit. I was in a Catch 22 loop. Somehow, running the account recovery on the new account ( I did try deleting and re-creating her account before my positional post ) did the trick. I was finally able to log onto the app and pull down the emergency kit which has been stashed safely away.

Thanks very much for the quick response. I am good to go. The only issue now is teaching the wife how to use it, and all the in's and out's of the app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdehnert: If there's anything we can do to help you, or your loved ones, just let us know. I'm glad you were able to get over this hurdle though!

In case it helps, rather than it being a Catch 22, the idea is that if you have already used your 1Password account on a device, you'll be able to access your Secret Key there -- for example in the app's Preferences/Settings. If you have lost all of your devices, that obviously doesn't help. But that's why we have you save the Emergency Kit when setting up the account. And, as you noted, an Organizer in a family membership can help others recover their accounts.

I'm sorry you ran into some trouble, but with the Emergency Kit you should be good to go. And now that you're a recovery pro, that helps too. But we're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.