Using an old version of 1Password [not something we can recommend]

System
edited July 2019 in iOS
This discussion was created from comments split from: Setup with standalone vault

Comments

• Yoms
    Yoms
    Community Member

Hi,

I paid and I'm using:
    1Password
    Version 6.8.9 (689000)
    Mac App Store

I also paid for the iOS upgrade a few years back. I'm syncing via Dropbox. I don't want to go to subscription plan nor upgrade to an earlier version. What I have does the job.

Will I always be able to download and install my 6.8.9 MAS version and use it along with the iOS version at any point in the future?

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Yoms: Thanks for reaching out! While we can't recommend using outdated software because it leaves you in the position of having to choose between compatibility and security, I can offer some clarifications.

I can't speak to "always" as far as being able to use the Mac App Store version of 1Password 6 because we're not Apple and don't own and operate the App Store. But historically, with both the iOS and Mac App Stores, Apple seems to allow downloading the most recent compatible version of an app from your purchase history. For example, on a device running iOS 10, an attempt to download 1Password for iOS from the purchase history will offer you version 6.9.1. So I suspect that as long as you're running a version of macOS that supports 1Password for Mac version 6, you'll be able to install that from your App Store purchase history as well.

However, if you continue updating macOS and/or 1Password for iOS, but do not update 1Password for Mac, you will likely run into compatibility issues in the future, either with the OS itself, with browsers, or with the outdated version of 1Password not supporting newer features of later versions of 1Password.

And since you mentioned Dropbox, you may remember times in the past where they've changed their service such that updates were needed for 3rd party apps to continue working with it, as we've done with 1Password multiple times. If that were to happen again in the future, while you're still running an old version of 1Password which has been discontinued, that could break compatibility with Dropbox again.

So, at the end of the day, you can probably do that just fine, at least for a while. But long-term, especially in the context of security and compatibility, you'd be better off being consistent and updating everything, and a 1Password membership does offer an easy and affordable way to do that. If in the future you decide you'd like to try that, shoot us an email at support@1password.com so we can help you make the transition. Cheers! :)

• Yoms
    Yoms
    Community Member

@brenty
    Thanks for your reply. It's pretty clear as regards Apple and/or Dropbox policy. Thanks for clarifying.

That said, I was thinking about how AgileBits would handle things in the future. If I'm not mistaken, we will always receive the lastest updates and upgrades of the iOS app, correct? Either because we purchased the in-app premium package or because it's not convenient for AgileBits to maintain different versions on the iOS store.

With that in mind: for example, would it be possible that an update affects the way the encrypted files are stored, that you update the iOS app accordingly which then modifies my encrypted files/vault on Dropbox to match the new encryption? And since 1Password 6 is not updated accordingly, it would no longer be able to use my vault on Dropbox.

That's the kind of scenario I was thinking in the first place. Is that possible?

Thanks.

• That said, I was thinking about how AgileBits would handle things in the future. If I'm not mistaken, we will always receive the lastest updates and upgrades of the iOS app, correct? Either because we purchased the in-app premium package or because it's not convenient for AgileBits to maintain different versions on the iOS store.

I'm not sure I'd say that's a safe assumption. As far as I'm aware we've never said that 1Password for iOS will always be updated at no additional cost.

With that in mind: for example, would it be possible that an update affects the way the encrypted files are stored, that you update the iOS app accordingly which then modifies my encrypted files/vault on Dropbox to match the new encryption? And since 1Password 6 is not updated accordingly, it would no longer be able to use my vault on Dropbox.

That would be possible, yes. It would also be possible that in the future you might purchase a device that isn't capable of running 1Password 6.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.